Think Seven Merry Little Thoughts

By Emmet SullivanPLAY Editor

It’s Homecoming Week at Northwestern. You know how I know? It’s not because of those painted windows in Evanston. It’s not the decorations in Norris – although, wow guys, way to go all out and have colored streamers and some Hollywood signs. No, I know it’s Homecoming Week because it’s become depressing to be a Wildcat. You know it’s true, but why?

Some say it’s the long nights. The Daily broke the shocking news on Tuesday that some NU students do not get a full night’s sleep regularly. Hogwash, I say. I know of no such student here. No, it’s something else.

And I don’t think it’s the football team. Sure, we may have lost 31-10 against Purdue, but isn’t that better than losing 41-9 against Wisconsin? I smell a comeback.

It’s the midterms. Every year around Homecoming we’re right in the middle of midterms, and I can understand if people can’t break into cheery school spirit if they have to do it in between trips to Core.

If you’re feeling the mid-quarter crisis, don’t despair. I am an expert of looking at the silver lining – or rather, not writing the two papers I have due tomorrow so I can watch an episode of “Lost” – so let me help lift your spirits with seven “happy points” to brighten your day.

4Happy point number 1:Parents’ weekend is over! So before you get upset about missing the free food, go get drunk in public. Celebrate freedom.

4Happy point number 2: Stephen Colbert is coming. If you can’t get excited about that, you are probably a pretty boring person and these points are wasted on you.

4Happy point number 3: We’re only in week 5, which means you’re still clear to drop the class you’re failing. Don’t look at it as you giving up; look at it as perseverance.

4Happy point number 4: We are now T-minus 12 days from Halloween. If you’re struggling for a costume idea, steal one from my high school – dress in Saran wrap and go as a leftover.

4Happy point number 5: Mark Foley was apparently seen living it up in Texas. This just proves that even after a sex scandal you can still party. That’s gotta make your week better. Unless, you know, you’re a congressional page in Austin.

4Happy point number 6: Um…Madonna possibly stole a baby from Africa this weekend…so, I mean, at least you don’t have an extra child right now. Smile.

4Happy point number 7: I’m pretty much done with midterms and papers. How does this make you happier? OK, seriously? I was nice enough to give you six other points. Go with it.

Feel better now? Yeah, that’s what I thought. So go off, be merry and have a happy Homecoming!

Medill junior Emmet Sullivan is the PLAY editor. He can be reached at [email protected].