Don’t judge a book(store) by its cover

Dying for the latest Krunk comic? Do you even know what one is? Well, Quimby’s has it. Quimby’s, a bookstore in Wicker Park, was started by Steven Svymbersky with the intention of carrying “every cool, bizarre, strange, dope, queer, surreal, weird publication ever written and published.”

Touted as one of the best retailers for unusual publications, aberrant periodicals and saucy comic booklets, Quimby’s offers a unique selection of publications like The Best of Ask Ed:Your Marijuana Questions Answered and ABC of Anarchism.

Krunk is only one such quirky publication. Krunk’s protagonist, Terrence, a lazy idiot who never gets anything right, takes a special sense of humor to enjoy, but still fills Quimby’s shelves.

There are some familiar titles near the register. Quimby’s carries the latest Time Out Chicago, The Black Book and Heeb Magazine: the New Jew Review. Move past the register, though, and you enter the domain of the comics. The familiar X-Men have been replaced by titles such as Lost Dog, unsurprisingly following a lost dog’s day, and King-Cat Comics, which was first published in 1989 and is the longest-running “mini-comic” in existence.

Erotic titles pervade the shelves, too. A whole bookshelf is dedicated to issues of Housewives at Play, and one lone comic stars Superman, who tries to pick up Supergirl, whose outfit has shrunk considerably since my childhood days. Needless to say, he succeeds. Twice.

Quimby’s also carries miscellaneous items like postcards and stationery. They have “creative playthings,” as well, from bacon-flavored air freshener to Bush trading cards, the second-term edition.

Quimby’s also has strange ornaments strewn about the shelves. Walking past the “Killers and Conspiracies” section, one can’t help but notice a birdcage with a little devil hanging from it. There’s also a surprisingly comfortable back couch, which is perfect for reading on – if you don’t mind looking at the bust of a woman with her brain exposed.

If nothing else, Quimby’s is a great place for browsing. It can take a whole day to fully enjoy all the choices it offers.

Quimby’s is located at 1854 W. North Ave, off the Damen stop on the Blue Line. Hours are noon to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday; 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.

– Emmet Sullivan