Columnist apps deadline extended to March 14

Admit it: You’ve always wanted to be a columnist. Every time you open up The Daily you see the face of that kid you kind of sort of remember from class staring back at you, and think If he/she can do it, why can’t I?

And now, once again is your chance to try. By becoming a columnist you will essentially own 550 words a week that you can use to humor, enlighten, inform, provoke and/or entertain thousands of people each week. Columnists seeking to do none of these need not apply.

There is more than one way to be a great columnist. Whether you’re tackling Northwestern issues, politics, pop culture or none of the above, have a specific voice so we know who you are and what we can expect from you. That being said, there a few things not to write about, just so you’re not automatically chucked into the no pile:

Why you love/hate your major/your extracurricular of choice/your hometown/yourself. If your friends don’t even care, no one else will.

Anything about the weather. Even if you’re commenting on how boring it is when people talk about the weather, it’s probably still boring.

Facebook. As much as we all love or love to hate it, been there, done that 8,000 times over. And that includes commenting on how freaked out you are that that guy in high school just friended you.

Now go on, start working: Send two 550-word columns, five column ideas and a 250-word biography by Mar. 10 to: [email protected].

Interested cartoonists, we haven’t forgotten about you: Send the Forum Desk an email with two cartoons attached. Basically same rules apply, just also know how to draw. If you want to be on Forum Desk staff, also drop us an e-mail, too.

Good luck!

Deadline for applying to be columnists and cartoonists is extended to Tuesday, March 14 at 5 p.m.