Fencing love came on a whim (Fencing)

After noticing fencers at a lacrosse camp one summer, freshman Megan Ross had an itch to give fencing a shot. According to Megan’s mother, Suzanne Ross, Megan asked her to check into fencing opportunities as soon as Megan returned home from camp – and didn’t let the subject drop until Suzanne signed her up for epee lessons that winter.

“I decided on a whim to try (fencing) and ended up really liking it,” Megan said. “After that I slowly began competing at higher and higher levels, and now I’m competing at the collegiate level, which is a big accomplishment for me.”

Ross, along with freshman Sam Nemecek and sophomores Gabby Aiuto and Gina Annunziato, will compete in the United States Fencing Association Junior Olympics (J.O.) this weekend.

This will be Ross’ fourth J.O., and she said she hopes to place in the top eight or 16.

“I just hope that I go (in to J.O.) with the right frame of mind, with a focused attitude, and I don’t lose any stupid bouts,” Ross said. “If I fence the way I know I can, I think I can do pretty well.”

To prepare for J.O., Ross has been receiving more individual instruction and expanding her repertoire of moves and strategies.

Success this season didn’t come easily – Ross caught mononucelosis early in the year during a key part of training and wasn’t able to practice or lift weights with the team. Although she was a little behind in conditioning, Ross bounced back and currently is 28-19.

“What stands out about Megan is her intensity and her toughness,” coach Laurie Schiller said. “I have noticed that in pressure situations she handles things better than you would expect a freshman to handle things. She did very well at Columbia, for example, in winning a critical bout.

“She’s a very tough kid, and what I like is that she’s intense and she fights. She doesn’t give up in the middle of a bout, and that’s what’s so important.”

Ross said one of her top accomplishments is her second-place finish in her division at the (USFA????) summer nationals last summer. In addition, she currently is ranked 13th and 18th on two juniors rankings lists – the highest she’s ever been.

“As a fencer, I’m able to keep my head in the game,” Ross said. “I have had some good comebacks throughout the year and I think that’s a reflection of that. Also, I think I’m able to – or at least I try to – learn from every bout and apply what I have learned in future bouts.”

According to Suzanne, Megan’s fencing career hasn’t just been about winning bouts and moving up in the rankings. Suzanne said traveling to fencing competitions with her daughter has strengthened their relationship. They’ve gotten through the ups and downs together, creating a close mother-daughter bond.

“Just from traveling, I think we’ve developed a wonderful relationship,” Suzanne said.

Last summer, when Megan and her older sister, Kelly, traveled to a competition together, Kelly had never seen Megan fence before. As the younger sister, Megan always wanted to impress Kelly, Suzanne said. When Megan fenced well at the competition, Kelly called home to tell Suzanne how proud she was of her sister.

“(Kelly) was so impressed with Megan’s abilities and her love for the sport,” Suzanne said.

But, even though Megan likes being a part of a team, it’s the individual aspects of the sport that draw her in.

“I’ve tried many other team sports and I liked the feeling of doing something for the team,” she said. “But when you fence, it’s just you, and when you succeed, you know it was all because of your hard work.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected]