Swinging for fences: Cats have high hopes (Softball)

Starting their season ranked in the top 20 by two different national polls, the Wildcats could be feeling cocky and secure – but instead, the Cats are taking their national recognition in stride.

“We’re going to try not to think about how we start,” senior pitcher Courtnay Foster said. “We’re going to think about how we end.

“Rankings are going to be in the back of our minds for the rest of the year – We want to go out and win every game, it doesn’t matter if we’re ranked second or 200th.”

Plus, the Cats have bigger goals in mind.

Northwestern finished last season 42-18, good for second in the Big Ten, but the team lost to DePaul in the NCAA Super Regional round, two wins away from the College World Series. Despite the team’s successes, the players felt they could have done better.

“No one’s happy when (the season) ends with a loss,” senior third baseman and catcher Kristen Amegin said. “We were all on board for that national championship and going to the World Series. That loss to DePaul was tough, and I don’t think anybody on our team took it well. We all wanted more.”

The first step in the team’s title hunt begins today in Tempe, Ariz., when the Cats participate in the Kajikawa Classic, a three-day, four-game tournament. The Cats face No. 12 Oregon State today, No. 17 Fresno State and No. 4 Texas on Saturday, and Syracuse on Sunday.

Returning five seniors and with preseason all-Americans Foster and junior first baseman Garland Cooper – the school’s first preseasaon all-Americans since 1993 – NU has caught the eye of national pollsters. Both Foster and Cooper were on the USA softball National Player of the Year Watchlist at the beginning of the season. It is ranked No. 15 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 and No. 16 in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll. This is the first time the Cats have opened the season ranked in the top 25.

“(The rankings) are exciting and it’s a good PR thing,” coach Kate Drohan said. “But it really doesn’t matter what other people think about us. Ultimately it’s about winning games at the end of the season.”

Still, the national ranking is a sign that the program is headed the right direction.

“People are starting to notice that we actually have a great softball program, very talented players and great coaching,” senior catcher and first baseman Jamie Dotson said. “They recognize how dangerous we are.”

Foster said that one of the team’s biggest strengths this season should be their ability to play together.

“(We need to) really maintain our team chemistry,” Foster said. “I think that’s one of our huge strengths. Everybody gets along really well and everybody is really playing for everybody else, including our staff, all of our coaches, every player right down to our 18th person.”

Anticipating postseason play, the Cats have adjusted their workout program, extending the weight-training and running periods in order to peak at the end of the year rather than in May.

“It’s challenging practicing inside and then going outside to play,” Drohan said. “We’ve been focusing on fundamentals. Our pitchers have been working extremely hard and they’re making some great pitches. We’re excited to face some different pitchers.”

Drohan said their strong schedule, talent and team chemistry puts them in a good position for a national title.

“Our first goal on this team is to win and to compete for a national championship and to win that championship,” Foster said. “Everybody’s eyes are set on that.”

Reach Annie Martin at [email protected].