NU alumna’s 2-year-old murder headed for court

An article in Tuesday’s Daily misstated the name of a deceased alumna as Jennifer Wanner. The woman’s name is Jenny Wanner.

The Daily regrets the error.

The murder trial date has been set for a Chicago man accused of strangling a Northwestern alumna to death in 2003.

The trial for Ruben Claudio, 20, is scheduled to begin in Cook County Criminal Court in Chicago on Jan. 30 at 9:30 a.m.

Claudio was arrested May 19, 2003 and charged with the murder of Jennifer Wanner, Education ’98 and an admissions counselor at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Wanner, 26, was found strangled at 2:18 a.m. on May 11 in her apartment building on the 2100 block of North Albany Avenue in Logan Square.

Claudio has been held at Cook County Jail. A public defender will represent him, according to county records.

Wanner’s mother Cathy said no family members planned to attend the trial.

“I just hope it’s a speedy trial and that justice is served,” she said. “We can have closure.”

Police said Claudio, then 17, followed Wanner to her apartment as she walked home from the California street El stop on the Blue Line to her apartment after a coworker’s party on the night of May 10. The stop was half-a-mile from her apartment.

Claudio robbed Wanner of $10 and a credit card after strangling her, police said.

Claudio tried to choke Wanner into unconsciousness with his hands and used the strap from her purse she wore on her shoulder, when she resisted, police said.

Police interviews with area residents led to Claudio’s arrest on May 19, 2003 at the home of a friend on the 2900 block of West Fullerton Avenue. Friends of Claudio said he had offered them use of Wanner’s credit card. Reach Beth Murtaugh at [email protected].