Men’s basketball seniors urge students to come out (Men’s Basketball)

The Wildcats are 5-1 at home this season and 50-24 in coach Bill Carmody’s six years at Northwestern. But more often than not, the basketball team plays in front of empty seats and a skimpy student section.

Senior Vedran Vukusic has had enough.

Vukusic said the players are “definitely” disappointed when they see half-empty bleachers. “I think the tradition with Northwestern basketball is that we don’t win that many games. Well, we’re winning games now, so we expect people to come.”

The Cats, 10-4 overall and riding a five-game winning streak, are 2-0 in the Big Ten and have a chance to start 3-0 for the first time since 1968.

Vukusic and seniors Mohamed Hachad, Michael Jenkins, Evan Seacat and walk-on Justin Hoeveler signed their names to a letter that was sent Monday through the NU athletics marketing department. “Come out to Welsh-Ryan Wednesday night and support a team that plays hard to represent you,” the letter said.

It continued: “We’d like to thank the students who have already supported us this season. Now, we need to add your friends and neighbors. In a conference as tough as the Big Ten, those extra cheering voices can really give us a huge lift and a great home-court advantage.”

“You wouldn’t think it makes a difference, but it really does,” Hoeveler said about a big home crowd. “It provides a lift for our players.”

– Anthony Tao