Student’s purse stolen on Sherman Avenue

A Northwestern student’s wallet was stolen shortly after midnight Tuesday morning at the 1900 block of Sherman Avenue, the Evanston Police Department said.

The Weinberg senior told police she and a friend were walking north on Sherman Avenue on the east side of the street when an older-looking man approached the students from behind and grabbed her purse. Nothing was taken from the other student.

The student told police she chased the offender along Sherman Avenue to the corner of Sherman Avenue and Foster Street. He turned around to face the students with one hand inside his sweatshirt, implying he had a gun, she told police.

The man continued to run, with a slight limp the student noted, through the area around Sherman Avenue and Emerson Street and disappeared heading east on Emerson Street, according to EPD.

The student’s purse was discarded on the ground but her wallet with her driver’s license, credit cards, WildCARD and $20 cash was taken, EPD said.

This was the second student robbery during this school year. Both have occurred within the past week. The first occurred Oct. 4 on the 1800 block of Hinman Avenue near the University Police station. Several teenagers took a student’s wallet and cell phone, UP said.

EPD does not believe the two incidents are related, Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino of EPD said.

“In reading the description – male, 5 feet 9 inches, older-looking and heavy-set – it doesn’t compare with the last description,” Bellino said.

SESP sophomore Ashlee Richman said despite hearing about recent crimes, she still feels safe at NU.

“I lived in DC for a summer,” she said. “There were two robberies in the first two days I was there. You’re going to have robberies everywhere.”

Richman said she has been the victim of a robbery as well and would handle the situation differently if it happened again.

“I kind of kneed him in the groin, which didn’t really work that well,” Richman said. “I’d scream and run towards buildings where people would be.”

The student Tuesday morning chased after the robber, an action Bellino said police do not recommend.

“The last thing we want one to do is to put themselves in harm’s way,” Bellino said. “Chasing after the subject could put you back in harm’s way.”

Bellino suggested students shout for help and call police immediately if they find themselves in a dangerous situation.

Both robberies are under investigation, EPD and UP said.

Reach Laura Olson at

[email protected].