Paint thE-Town: The Daily’s guide to weekends in Evanston

As You Like It Salon

825-B Chicago Ave.

(847) 864-3101

By appointment Mon. – Sat.

In 1979, salon creator Patt Murray took the idea of French salons of the Scientific Revolution – where scholars gathered to discuss art and other humanities – and combined it with an element of private beauty and relaxation treatments.

Since then, this combination salon and art gallery has provided hair design, waxing, manicures, pedicures and massage therapy against an artistic and cultural backdrop.

Currently on display is “Storytelling,” a collection of paintings and drawings by cartoonist Mark Hudson, whose influences include Jackson Pollack.

The stylists work independently from each other and set their own prices for services. For example, a haircut may range from $35 to $58 depending on the stylist. A student discount of 10 percent is available through stylist Liz Frank.

As You Like It offers a large variety of message techniques, such as deep tissue, shiatsu and even lymphatic drainage, which can be used to treat injuries or to relax and restore muscles after an operation.

Maple Avenue Gallery

1745 Maple Ave.

(847) 869-0680

Free admission

Open 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Tues. and Wed.; 10:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Thurs., Fri., and Sat.; noon – 5:00 p.m. Sun.

The four-year-old Maple Avenue Gallery offers patrons a chance to browse local and international artwork without feeling pressured to buy pieces.

“We’re very low-key – we’re not trying to sell you something as soon as you walk in the door,” manager Susan McMenamin said. “We’re happy to have people just come in and look.”

Although McMenamin said about a third of the gallery’s art was created by Chicago-area artists, there’s also a strong emphasis on buying pieces from all over the world.

The gallery is now showing work by Lily Balasanova and Sergei Kolevatykh, two artists living in Moscow.

There will be a free reception for the two artists on Saturday, with music, drinks and hors d’oeuvres. The reception is open to the public.

Also on display is “Flowers from My Sister’s Garden,” a series of oil paintings by Wilmette artist and musician Mary Barnes Gingrich.

McMenamin said the gallery shows mainly contemporary, abstract art, typically on canvas.

“It’s something different, and it’s good, quality artwork,” McMenamin said. “The quality of work is getting better and better.”

Some of the work in the Maple Avenue Gallery even hits home for Northwestern students.

“We have some incredible, fantastic skylines of the city, and a piece based on an old map of Northwestern,” McMenamin said.

“The God of Hell”

by Next Theatre Company

Noyes Cultural Arts Center

927 Noyes St.

(847) 475-1875

Through Oct. 16: Showtimes at 7:30 p.m. Thurs., 8 p.m. Fri. and Sat., and 2 p.m. Sun.

Tickets $20-$35, half-price tickets for students

Next Theatre Company’s 25th anniversary season begins with the Chicago-area premiere of “The God of Hell,” a new play by Sam Shepard.

Managing director John Collins said the company tries to provide shows related to current social issues.

“The play is artistically adventurous and socially provocative,” Collins said. “It deals a lot with war and fear in America.”

Part of Next Theatre Company’s mission is to give viewers a chance to discuss real-life applications of the ideas presented onstage. For every show, the company hosts a free Saturday salon where experts hold a panel discussion on the play’s themes.

The salon for “The God of Hell” is on Oct. 8 at 4 p.m., and the discussion will focus on issues such as torture and the war on terror. NU law Prof. Andrew Koppelman is scheduled to speak there.

“We want viewers to have a connection to the work and an opportunity to fully understand and explore the social concerns,” Collins said.

In addition to the 50 percent discount offered to students, the company also holds what Collins calls a “student rush.” Thirty minutes before the start of the play, the box office sells $7 tickets to the first 10 students who arrive.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at

[email protected].