Bet your BOTM

The 17 members of Purple Haze, one of many Northwestern University a cappella groups, have just upped the ante. This week they went from rehearsing six hours a week to two hours a day, all in preparation for Saturday’s seventh annual Best of the Midwest A Cappella Extravaganza.

But the upcoming concert doesn’t scare Communication freshman Morgan Karr, a new addition to the musical group. Karr considers it just another show.

“I don’t see it as intimidating at all,” she says. “It’s just my first performance.”

Best of the Midwest, hosted by Purple Haze, is an annual showcase of national a cappella groups. Always scheduled during Family Weekend, the concert has sold out Pick-Staiger Concert Hall for the past four years. This year, for the first time, it will take place in Cahn Auditorium at 10 p.m.

This year’s show features the University of Illinois’ No Strings Attached, the University of Michigan’s Amazin’ Blue, the University of Indiana’s Straight No Chaser and the Beelzebubs from Tufts University. The Bubs are the only group never to have performed in BOTM before.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun,” Karr says. “Each song is very different. There is an art to each song.”

The group has five tunes prepared for Saturday, including “Since U Been Gone,” by Kelly Clarkson, and “Desperado,” by the Eagles. But unlike other Purple Haze shows that feature multiple performances, BOTM is one-night only, pressuring the group to sing their best.

“It’s one time, one night for all these people,” says Katherine Gorringe, a Weinberg and Music junior in Purple Haze. “It’s an incredible rush.”

Preparing for the show was a challenge, says Gorringe. Since the end of auditions for new members three weeks ago, rehearsals have been more fast-paced than usual, says Meredith Applegate, a Weinberg sophomore.

“We get new members, then prepare, then it’s the show,” Applegate says. “It’s very intense.”

Other groups are eager to perform in BOTM as well, says Tyler Trepp, Straight No Chaser’s director.

“This is an opportunity to show other college a cappella groups what kind of group you are, as well as a new audience,” Trepp says.

Doug Terry, the Beelzebubs’ business manager, also says he’s excited to come to Chicago and finally see what Midwestern groups are like.

“Since we’re so rarely in the Midwest, I wouldn’t say that there’s competition between us and the other groups, because we don’t even know what we’re up against,” Terry says. “We’re coming to Chicago to do our thing and have fun, hopefully with an East Coast flair.”

The concert also is a chance for these different ensembles to socialize and learn from each other.

“It’s nice to get tips at how certain groups differ from ourselves so we can improve our performance,” Terry says.

All five groups have appeared on at least one of the nine Best of College A Cappella albums, released annually since 1995. One song from each of Purple Haze’s four studio albums has appeared on BOCA, says Gorringe.

Last year’s release, which also features songs from the Bubs and Amazin’ Blue, included Purple Haze’s rendition of Dishwalla’s “Candleburn.”

“We’re the only group at Northwestern to be featured on BOCA,” Gorringe says. “It’s just a huge honor.”

But BOTM isn’t just about the awards, says Gorringe: “It’s fun to meet other groups from other schools that love a cappella as much as Purple Haze does.”4

Medill sophomore Emmet Sullivan is a PLAY writer. He can be reached at [email protected].