Spartans hope to keep rolling, exact revenge on Wolverines

Michigan (2-2, 0-1 Big Ten) at No. 11 Michigan State (4-0, 1-0)

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: East Lansing, Mich.

Line: Michigan State by 5.5

TV: ABC

What’s at stake: Michigan tries to avoid its first 2-3 start since 1967. The Spartans avenge last year’s heartbreaking loss in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Overview: Last year Michigan State had a 17-point lead at the Big House in the fourth quarter before Braylon Edwards scored two touchdowns, then won the game with another in the third overtime. This year, after dropping out of the top 25 for the first time in seven years, the Wolverines are in unfamiliar territory: fighting for the season before it’s halfway over. With tailback Mike Hart still questionable, Michigan might wave goodbye to its season against Drew Stanton and the red-hot Spartans.

No. 13 Notre Dame (3-1) at No. 22 Purdue (2-1, 0-1)

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Place: West Lafayette, Ind.

Line: Purdue by 3

TV: ESPN

What’s at stake: Purdue looks to bounce back after a double-overtime loss to Minnesota. The Irish need to keep their sudden resurgence intact if they’re to compete for a BCS Bowl.

Overview: Purdue won last year’s battle for the Shillelagh Trophy, but it’ll face a Notre Dame team which seems to be returning to glory under coach Charlie Weis. The Boilermakers will need to regain confidence in their rush defense after being bulldozed for 301 yards by the Gophers. The Irish had a disappointing overtime loss of their own to Michigan State two weeks ago, but bounced back with a confidence-boosting win against Pac-10 bottom feeder Washington last week.

Indiana (3-0, 0-0) at No. 17 Wisconsin (4-0, 1-0)

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: Madison, Wisc.

Line: Wisconsin by 17.5

TV: ESPN2

What’s at stake: The Badgers go for their 10th straight home victory after last week’s big win against Michigan. The Hoosiers look to open the Big Ten season positively after last week’s bye.

Overview: Wisconsin, picked to finish as low as eighth in the Big Ten by some, suddenly looks like a contender after scoring 17-points in the fourth quarter against Michigan last week. Indiana has already matched its win total of a year ago.

No. 18 Minnesota (4-0, 1-0) at Penn State (4-0, 1-0)

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: State College, Penn.

Line: Minnesota by 2.5

TV: ABC

What’s at stake: The Gophers look to build on last week’s dramatic win against the Boilermakers. Penn State tries to prove it’s for real with its first victory in five years against Minnesota.

Overview: Penn State will have to shut down the nation’s leading rusher, Laurence Maroney. Even Nittany Lions coach Joe Paterno admits this may be impossible.

Illinois (2-2, 0-1) at Iowa (2-2, 0-1)

Time: 11:10 a.m.

Place: Iowa City, Iowa

Line: Iowa by 17.5

TV: ESPN Gameplan

What’s at stake: With their national championship aspirations dead after last week’s loss to Ohio State, the Hawkeyes will try to get back on track against the Illini. Illinois will try to bounce back from last week’s loss to Michigan State.

Overview: After a 61-14 thumping at the hands of Michigan State and Stanton, the Illini are probably still licking their wounds. They’ll be facing an Iowa team that also was dealt a big loss last week, falling to Ohio State 31-6. Iowa quarterback Drew Tate has not been himself since suffering a concussion earlier in the season, throwing for only 549 yards and four touchdowns.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reach David Kalan at [email protected].