Stores gear up for Dillo Day business

Some Evanston businesses, especially those that sell alcohol, are primed to make a considerable profit on Dillo Day.

“It’s the busiest weekend of the whole year,” said Hiren Patel, manager of Evanston 1st Liquor, 1019 Davis St. Sales increase 100 percent each Dillo Day, Patel said.

The store gives free cups to customers, Patel added.

Evanston restaurants also make money on Dillo Day, as hungry students seek out grub to line their alcohol-filled stomachs.

Employees at Clarke’s, 720 Clark St., had no idea what Dillo Day was last year and couldn’t figure out why a steady, all-day stream of students visited the restaurant.

“Last year, we were very busy and we didn’t know why,” said manager Marina Proudsos. Now aware of the annual festivities, Proudsos said she and her staff are preparing for the same amount of business this Dillo Day.

Students order only breakfast items, Proudsos said.

“They eat breakfast, only breakfast,” she said. “Pancakes and eggs, nothing else from seven in the morning on.” Many students come in early in the morning and then return in the afternoon to refuel, she said.

Business also picks up at D&D Finer Foods and D.D. Dogs, 825 Noyes St., which keep later hours on Dillo Day. The grocery and grill, which usually close at 8 p.m. on Saturdays, will stay open until 11 p.m., said manager Billy Douvikas.

Students buy charcoal, hamburger meat and buns, as well as kegs.

“Last year there was a demand for a lot of food later on (in the day),” Douvikas said. “Unfortunately there’s problems, too, of students acting inappropriately.”

Despite some rowdy drunk students, Dillo Day is a good day for the people at D&D and D.D. Dogs.

“The cleaning up is the bad part,” Douvikas said. “Other than that, it’s a day we look forward to.”

Reach Beth Murtagh at [email protected].