Suitcase Party tests new structure

The 11th annual Suitcase Party drew more than 500 people Friday and raised a record amount of money after major revamping by this year’s committee.

Suitcase Party is a student group dedicated to raising money for various charities and nonprofits in the Chicago area. The party Friday was their main annual fund-raiser. They raffled off trips to such places as New York, Miami and Las Vegas.

Previously held in Patten Gym, Suitcase Party was moved to the Louis Room in Norris University Center to encourage a greater student turnout. For the first time, it featured a bar for guests over 21.

“There was a big controversy with Norris for approval,” said Weinberg senior Carlos Guzman, the party chairman. “Basically, this is a brand new Suitcase Party. Implementing the idea was difficult, but it was exciting when everything fell into place.”

The bar was manned by Norris staff, and students could purchase five drinks for an additional $5. Party-goers were carded before they were allowed to enter the room containing the bar.

The prize giveaways were also conducted differently at this year’s event. Rather than distributing many small prizes, the committee decided to group the items into 10 packages and people were able to put tickets into specific raffles.

“One of the complaints we’ve gotten (in previous years) is that people don’t know what they’re buying for,” Guzman said. “People are more likely to buy tickets if they can pick their prizes.”

Food from Lou Malnati’s, Kafein and other places was included in the price of admission. In addition to a Dance Dance Revolution tournament, 101.9 FM The Mix provided music and “spin to win” giveaways with prizes such as T-shirts and CDs.

Although the food was popular, Guzman was disappointed that people were lingering on the outskirts of the dance floor.

“Everyone is scattered — I just want people to dance,” he said.

Five trips were also raffled off at various points throughout the evening. Weinberg senior Matt Robbins landed the first giveaway, a trip for two to Las Vegas, using a strategy in collaboration with Weinberg senior Nick Tosi.

“Basically, we each bought like 30 tickets and tried to flood the thing, and whoever won the trip had to take the other one with him,” said Robbins.

Tosi said it was his first time at Suitcase Party and that he had decided to attend after hearing of trips that friends had won over the years.

“It’s easy if you play your cards right,” Tosi said. “You can win a trip for like 20 bucks.”

Each year Suitcase Party works with a different community organization on fund-raising and programming throughout the school year. Suitcase Party’s 2005 beneficiary, Alternatives, is a nonprofit youth and family agency on the northeast side of Chicago which provides leadership training, academic assistance, counseling services, and health and crisis centers in area schools.

According to Susan D. Peters, manager of volunteer and special events for Alternatives, about a half dozen NU students interacted regularly with kids who participate in the programs Alternatives offers. Alternatives’ youth hip-hop group was even able to perform in a show at NU with various campus groups earlier in the year.

“This evening is the culmination of a year of work,” Peters said. “It’s been a great time.”

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at

[email protected].