Second traffic fatality plagues local intersection

An Evanston man died Saturday after a single-car accident at the intersection of Green Bay Road and McCormick Boulevard — the second fatal crash at that intersection this month, police said.

Brian Novak, 56, of the 2600 block of Sheridan Road, ran a red light at the intersection and drove his 2005 Mercedes into the concrete train embankment on Green Bay Road at about 6:30 a.m., said Deputy Chief Joe Bellino of Evanston Police Department.

Novak was treated for multiple injuries at Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., and pronounced dead later that day, said a spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

A witness to the accident told police it did not appear Novak tried to turn the car either right or left when he ran the red light.

A test to determine whether Novak was intoxicated at the time of the accident will not be complete for at least six weeks, Bellino said.

On April 10, Evanston resident Patrick Hotchkiss drove his 1996 Jeep Cherokee into the same concrete embankment at 3:12 a.m. Hotchkiss, 20, of the 2500 block of Eastwood Avenue, was pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave.

According to Evanston’s senior traffic engineer Rajeev Dahal, the intersection is not especially dangerous. Traffic signals and lights at the intersection are clearly visible, he said.

— Marissa Conrad