Defensive potential hinges on health

After a mediocre year in which the defense finished 68th in the nation in total defense, there is one main key that holds the fate of Northwestern’s defensive outlook for 2005: injuries.

Last year injuries derailed any chance the Wildcats’ defense had of being great. The list of injured players was long and contained the names of many of the squad’s star players. Senior defensive back Jeff Backes, former defensive tackle Luis Castillo, junior linebacker Adam Kadela and senior defensive end Loren Howard, among others, all missed games last year with injuries. Kadela and Howard missed most of the year.

And the injuries that plagued the team last year haven’t disappeared.

Howard, Backes, Kadela, junior linebacker Nick Roach and senior middle linebacker Tim McGarigle all are sitting out spring practices, putting any speculation of a much improved defense in 2005 on hold.

“If we get them back it should help tremendously,” defensive coordinator Greg Colby said. “They’re not back yet. So it’s hard to really see where we’re going to be.”

Assuming all starters stay on schedule with their return, a stronger defense should step onto the field when the season opens Sept. 3 against Ohio.

The strength of the defense is in the linebacking corps. McGarigle, who led the nation in solo tackles per game (8.5) and ranked third nationally in total tackles (12.6 per game), is the heart of the defense. He is flanked by two outside linebackers in Roach and Kadela that have a tremendous upside. Roach earned the NGN Defensive Newcomer of the Year award and was second on the team in solo tackles (7.5). Kadela impressed coaches early last season before he tore his MCL and broke his leg in the third game of the year against Kansas.

“I think that’s a position of strength for our football team,” coach Randy Walker said. “If you have a bunch of active guys flying at the linebacker position, you’re going to be pretty good on defense.”

But McGarigle will be important not only for his tackles on the field. Teammates have been quick to point to McGarigle as the leader of the defense.

“There isn’t a better player, in my opinion, in the country than Tim McGarigle,” Walker said.

While the linebacking corps should anchor the defense, there are questions about who will step up on the defensive line. With the loss of Castillo and defensive tackle Colby Clark, the front four will be undergoing a major makeover.

A healthy Howard on one end should help the pass rush, and senior Barry Cofield is moving from end to tackle, where he is more comfortable. But the other tackle and end are question marks. Sophomore David Ngene, who is expected to fill the other end, and junior Trevor Schultz are currently listed as the other starters on the line. Schultz is experienced and should be solid inside, but the end is more unsure according to Walker. Along with Ngene, freshman Kevin Mims and sophomore Mark Koehn have been rotated in at the end to try to finalize the new-look line.

The pass rush will be key if the Cats want to improve a much-maligned pass defense, especially after the loss of two starters from the defensive backfield.

Senior cornerback Jeff Backes and junior safety Brian Heinz return next year and will be joined by two new starters that could be the biggest surprises for fans next year. Sophomore safety Reggie McPherson will start at free safety and should be a contributor after seeing some playing time and starting two games last year because of the injuries.

But the name to watch next year is junior Marquice Cole, who will start opposite Backes at the other corner and may be the best of the defensive backs. His blazing speed set him apart from everybody last year until he broke his ankle just days before the start of last season. His return to the lineup this year should provide a much needed lift for the pass defense.

Colby was excited to discuss the prospects of Cole and Backes starting the season at corner and how it could help turn around the defense next year.

“Obviously having (Cole) back with his great quickness is a big, big plus for us,” Colby said. “And we get him and we get Jeff out there on the other corner opposite him, and I think we have as good a corners there may be around.”

Then the defensive coordinator quickly amended his comments.

“If they stay healthy,” he said. “That’s going to be the whole key … if they stay healthy.”

Reach Paul Tenorio at [email protected].