Lebanese struggle for free elections

A democratic revolution in Lebanon has caught the attention of Middle Eastern students at Northwestern who believe it could mark a new era of political liberalism in the Middle East.

The February assassination of Prime Minister Rafik Hariri set off a series of demonstrations in Lebanon calling for Syria to withdraw its troops after almost 30 years of military and political pressure. The protesters hoped to accelerate new parliamentary elections.

But Lebanon’s pro-Syrian prime minister-designate’s resignation on Wednesday threatens to set back the vote scheduled for May 31. Although the current parliament’s term expires on that day, a caretaker government must be in place to call the elections, which would be the first vote in three decades without a Syrian military presence. Syria has pledged to completely remove its troops by April 30.

Medill School of Journalism Prof. Marda Dunsky, whose background is in Middle Eastern affairs, said that troop removal may not eliminate Syria’s political pressure.

“It seems pretty clear that the Syrians have a pretty strong hold and a lot of influence in Lebanese politics,” she said. “Even after withdrawing their troops, the influence won’t change overnight.”

NU students said they are optimistic about the United States’ efforts to spearhead an international coalition demanding the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon.

Anis Harb, who is of Lebanese descent but was born in Oman, lauded the popular uprisings in Lebanon as signs of a liberal transformation.

“I’m very optimistic,” said Harb, a Weinberg sophomore. “We’ve been held back since Syria occupied (Lebanon). It’s sad that it took the killing of such a great man, but it really sparked a great revolution.”

Lebanon citizens said they hope the elections will empower the opposition, ending decades of pro-Syrian control of parliament. And Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has outspokenly supported Syria’s withdrawal.

“Further delays are unnecessary,” Rice said. “Lebanon must be allowed to determine its own future.”

The United States’ intervention contributed to growing nationalism and democracy in Lebanon, Harb said.

“I don’t think it’s a coincidence,” Harb said. “Americans getting involved and showing interest in the region, and that shows a lot of people in these countries that they can revolt because (the United States) will back them up.”

Though heavily influenced by Syria, democratic Lebanon is one of the most westernized countries in the Arab world.

Weinberg sophomore Rami Jachi says Syria’s influence inhibited Lebanon’s political growth.

“They’ve been shadowing the government, even though democracy is there, it’s slightly perverted,” Jachi said. “They made threats, they were corrupt, and they almost always got what they wanted.”

Syria began to impose its military pressure on Lebanon in 1976, the first year of the Lebanese civil war. That conflict raged until 1990, and Syrian troops remained to keep the peace.

For the last three decades, Lebanon has been a hot spot for competing Middle Eastern powers.

Before Hariri’s death, Syria’s occupying soldiers numbered over 14,000. Today 4,000 soldiers remain.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reach Derek Thompson at [email protected].