Carmody: Sustained ‘D’ a necessity

How do you beat a team that hasn’t been beaten?

That’s the question Northwestern coach Bill Carmody has been pondering as his Wildcats (13-12, 5-7 Big Ten) prepare to take on No. 1 Illinois (27-0, 13-0) at 7 p.m. today in Champaign, Ill.

The Cats enter this evening’s game having won four of their last five. They need to win two of their four remaining games to become postseason eligible.

NU has turned up its defensive intensity in the last five games, averaging 13.8 steals in that span. But Carmody said what worked before — full court pressure and trap defense — probably won’t work as well against Illinois, which has three quick guards in Deron Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head.

“I don’t think you can take as many chances against this team,” Carmody said.

Carmody called the Fighting Illini a “very patient team” that has the ability to score on transition if the opportunity presents itself.

“(The Illini) don’t take the first open look,” Carmody said. “It seems like at least four guys touch the ball on almost every possession, so you really have to defend them for about 20 seconds.”

Head leads the team with 16.5 points per game, Williams leads the league in assists with 6.8 per game and Brown ranks in the Big Ten’s top three in assists, steals, 3-point field goal percentage, 3-pointers made and assist-turnover ratio.

James Augustine and Roger Powell round out Illinois’ starting lineup, which has been the same all season. NU sophomore Vince Scott likely will start again at center in place of Mike Thompson, who was injured before the Purdue game on Feb. 5.

Thompson practiced on Monday, but Carmody said he probably will not play today.

NU has had success on offense against Illinois — the Cats shot 57 percent in the teams’ earlier meeting in Evanston, a game the Illini won 78-66 — but Carmody said his players will have to do a better job on defense if they expect to compete.

With a win or a Michigan State loss, Illinois will clinch at least a share of the Big Ten title.

Reach Anthony Tao at [email protected]