Four play: Wildcats’ desire ‘definitely not 100 percent’ (Men’s basketball)

MADISON, Wis. — Bill Carmody’s posture during the game against Wisconsin on Wednesday said a thousand words about the state of Northwestern basketball, and all of them were negative.

The NU coach sat slumped over in his seat with his face in his hands as time wound down in the first half on the way to a 73-58 loss to No. 19 Wisconsin.

Even after a controversial blown call when guard Michael Jenkins was issued a palming violation, Carmody didn’t jump out of his seat or utter one dissenting comment to the official.

The Wildcats were down by 10, and Carmody was showing about as much life as his team was showing with 2:59 left in the half.

By halftime, the game was all but out of reach with the score 42-26. Wisconsin (15-4, 6-2 Big Ten) coasted to a win against NU (9-11, 2-6) at the Kohl Center in front of 17,142.

After having their hearts questioned following a loss to Ohio State on Saturday, the Cats again had to field questions about their desire and effort Wednesday.

“(Our desire) is not 100 percent,” NU guard T.J. Parker said. “It’s definitely not 100 percent because when it’s 100 percent, it’s like the last four minutes of the Iowa game.

“If we can keep (up the intensity) for 40 minutes, I think things will be better.”

Both Parker and junior Vedran Vukusic, NU’s leading scorer, fouled out of the game.

The second half was not a complete charade as NU made a tenacious surge with 11:38 left.

By the 5:57 mark, the Cats had whittled down the Wisconsin lead to just seven points on two free throws from swingman Tim Doyle.

But the Badgers outscored the Cats 15-7 the rest of the way to come away with their first victory at the Kohl Center since having their 38-game home winning streak snapped Jan. 25 against No. 1 Illinois. Wisconsin, which used 12 different players and had five scorers in double figures, was much fresher at the end of the game.

Vukusic fouled out for the Cats with 6:56 left, and NU lost its leading 3-point shooter in the midst of a comeback attempt.

“I think I failed the team today, ” Vukusic said. “Fouling out and getting the two quick fouls in the first half (hurt the Cats) because they need me out there.”

NU guard Mohamed Hachad seemed to come alive during the second half run.

The junior, who scored five points during a 15-4 spurt, finished with a team-high 14 points after having his consecutive-starts streak broken at 61 games.

Senior walk-on Michael Jenkins started instead of Hachad, whose play has been inconsistent.

“They went on that run there, and it just looked like it was a hot knife through butter,” Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan said. “Fortunately, they didn’t have more than one of those.”

NU was able to keep itself within striking distance in the first half until 8:46 left before the break. But after that, the usual road game scoring drought struck the Cats.

After the Cats scored six unanswered points to cut Wisconsin’s early lead to four, the Badgers rallied off an 11-0 run that gave themselves a 36-21 lead with 4:16 left in the half.

The scoring spurt was aided in part by a five-minute NU scoring famine.

“I have no answer,” Vukusic said. “I guess we don’t come out ready. That’s one thing.”

The Badgers jumped out to an 11-2 lead and had amassed a 25-15 lead by the 10:06 before the Cats got their bearings.

“The coaches said they are going to change the defense in the beginning to man,” Vukusic said. “I think that’s going to help … so we can get out strong and not just float around like we’ve been going the past three or four games.”

Reach Zach Silka [email protected].