$3.7M grant to fund graduate program on K-12 education

A $3.7 million grant awarded to Northwestern will fund a new program for doctoral students focusing on how to research K-12 educational practices.

NU is one of five schools to receive a $3.7 million grant from the Institute of Education Sciences. NU will apply the grant money toward developing an educational policy research program for doctoral students.

NU plans to contribute an additional $1.2 million to the program to help the 22 participating fellows with tuition costs.

“(The program) is designed to provide interdisciplinary preparation for Ph.D. students for conducting empirical research — in particular, to equip students to establish causal links between education and outcomes,” said James Spillane, a professor in the School of Education and Social Policy.

Spillane, along with colleagues from the sociology, psychology and economics departments at NU, submitted the original application for the grant.

The aim of the grant is to develop a cohort of doctoral students trained in conducting statistical analysis of education practices.

The educational institute was prepared to award 10 applicants, out of the 50 to 60 who applied, the opportunity to provide 22 three-year fellowships at their respective universities. But according to Spillane, only the five universities that the institute ranked as outstanding were awarded money: Northwestern, Vanderbilt University, Carnegie Mellon University, Florida State University and the University of Virginia.

“They were looking at the rigor of the program and the strength of the faculty,” Spillane said.

A group of 10 core faculty will head up the project, with Spillane and education and social policy Prof. Greg Duncan alternating as directors. Coursework will require statistics, evaluation, learning and cognition, and regular attendance at research seminars.

Although the program remains a work in progress, Spillane said that the current focus is identifying the first four to six fellows. Spillane attended a recent meeting about the program in Washington, D.C. and said that the ultimate goal was to develop the program, starting with application and recruitment procedures.

“We’re building the plane as we’re flying it,” Spillane said.

According to a university press release, Education Dean Penelope Peterson stressed the importance of commitment to the project.

“The Department of Education wants to make sure that educational policies are based on solid, evidence-based research,” Peterson said. “Educational policy, like other policies, should be made on the basis of rigorous evidence, and we want to produce a cadre of scholars who are qualified to conduct the work.

“Our children deserve that, and we are excited to be part of this mission,” she added.

According to Spillane, the grant will make NU a national player in the effort to develop statistically effective educational practices and to create a forum for sharing resources and ideas.

“(The program) marshals various strengths that already exist at Northwestern,” Spillane said.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at [email protected].