Week of celebration keeps students entertained

Picture it.

Crowds of students trying to push their way into chemistry Senior Lecturer Eberhard Zwergel’s annual Halloween Special. Upperclassmen flooding Prairie Moon on senior bar night. A packed stadium rejoicing in a fourth-quarter triumph over Purdue.

While students celebrated Northwestern’s Homecoming, the committee in charge celebrated what they called the highest student Homecoming participation in years.

“The involvement and buzz going around campus was amazing,” said Weinberg senior Bryan Tolles, this year’s Homecoming committee chairman. “People actually knew Homecoming.”

Homecoming events were better publicized this year, Tolles said, and offered incentives of free food and prizes for students who attended.

In addition, activities were geared toward students and created by students. In previous years, events were organized from an adult alumni perspective and were not as in touch with the student population, Tolles said.

“Our main goal is trying to get campus more involved in events throughout the week instead of just on Saturday, ” said Weinberg sophomore Jenny Kim, a member of the Homecoming committee.

Activities throughout the week — such as the NU trivia night at the 1800 Club, karaoke and bonfires on the Lakefill — brought in “amazing attendance,” said Communication senior Kerri Breslin, Homecoming Parade chairwoman.

“It gave people an opportunity to be more spirited,” Breslin said.

Competing classes and the Homecoming court battled it out at the first annual Buff Puff game in a game of flag football on the Lakefill, while NU football players refereed.

“It was a really good way to build class spirit and meet people,” said McCormick sophomore Jordan Kwok. “It was a rare opportunity for one class to compete with another class.”

Twenty-eight students applied for Homecoming court — a record number.

Blessed with good weather, students and community members lined Sheridan Road to watch the parade on Friday night.

“The parade looked really great,” said Communication sophomore Jessie Cluess. “I could hear the screams all the way from where I was tucked up in the South Mid-Quads.”

The Foster-Walker Complex shed its solitary reputation as students there became the largest group in history to participate in the parade, with more than 130 residents marching, said Diana Lebiecki, a resident assistant in Plex.

“It was a lot of fun and the ambience was really cool,” said Education sophomore Monica Guevara. “It was really nice to see everyone relaxed and enjoying it completely stress-less.”

Weinberg sophomore Lydia Colunga said her involvement in the parade made her care about the Homecoming game, even though she “hates” football.

“Last year I just watched the Homecoming activities,” Colunga said. “This year I marched in the parade and it really made me more school spirited.”

Reach Kendra Marr at [email protected].