Panhel gives up A-status ASG standing

In a move designed to enhance its status as a governing body on campus, the Panhellenic Association resigned as an A-status student group at Wednesday night’s Associated Student Government meeting.

“The Panhellenic Association has become frustrated with ASG’s lack of willingness to recognize and understand our differences in policies and procedures,” a Panhel press release stated.

ASG cited the association — which oversees 12 sororities — for group misconduct on Oct. 13 because Panhel did not hold a required concert last spring, which was to use money rolled over from 2002. Panhel President Kelly Shimizu said the issue boiled down to confirming contracts.

Student Activities Finance Board instructed Panhel to keep in better contact with its Student Activities Finance Board representative and to hold an event this spring. But instead Panhel officials decided to pull out of student government.

Shimizu said that organizational clashes led to her group’s departure from ASG.

“We realized the overall theme of ASG guidelines were in contradiction (with our own),” said Shimizu, an Education senior. “We are governed by our own constitution — those are first and foremost in our book. ASG may ask us to do one thing and our guidelines instruct us to do something differently. That’s where we run into problems.”

Because Panhel traditionally receives little funding, Financial Vice President and SAFB Chairman Zaid Pardesi said he understood that it may not be worthwhile for Panhel to comply with SAFB guidelines — which include regulations on when events can occur and when SAFB dollars must be used — as all A-status groups are required to do.

“I support their decision and ASG is here to help,” said Pardesi, a McCormick senior. “In the end, the Greek system is a big part of this community.”

ASG President Jane Lee said the resignation would not hinder ASG’s ability to coordinate with Panhel in the future.

“It doesn’t mean we’re not going to take in Greek needs. We’ll definitely ask Panhel how ASG can better serve them,” said Lee, a Weinberg senior and member of Kappa Delta sorority.

Last January ASG derecognized the Interfraternity Council — the group that represents 17 traditional fraternities on campus — for failing to turn in its annual review petition. Guidelines called for automatic derecognition of the group, but senators often vote to overturn the mandate when groups appeal. IFC appealed but was denied.

IFC President Mitch Holzrichter, also the The Daily’s business manager, said at the time that the loss in ASG funding did not hurt the organization, which relies on member dues.

In other business, ASG senators responded to the thefts in the Foster-Walker Complex this past weekend by passing an emergency resolution reminding on-campus residents and dorm staff to keep security a top priority. Rooms were burglarized when students evacuated during a fire alarm.

“This is not merely a Plex issue, this could have happened anywhere,” said Plex Sen. Audrey Chen.

Next week senators will vote on a bill that seeks to help students receive better advising services from the university. After the September resignation of John Lyons, the sole pre-health advisor, students looking to pursue careers in the medical field were left with no specialized adviser. If the bill passes, ASG will urge administrators to hire two pre-health advisers and increase the number of pre-health resources for students.

Senators also will vote on two other bills next week:

Senators will decide whether to add a prominent link on HereAndNow for a Web site that monitors campus shuttle positions.

A poll to determine the most widely used cell phone company might help to attract a new cell phone tower on campus and improve service, said Kerianne Tobitsch, an Education sophomore and co-author of the bill.

The Daily’s Helena Oh and Jerome C. Pandell contributed to this report. Reach Alexis Crawford at [email protected].