NUIT follows national trend with increased security

In line with other colleges and universities around the nation, Northwestern’s Information Technology has continued its work this year in increasing computer security.

The 2004 Campus Computing Survey found colleges are facing more pressure in providing computer security measures to students. The survey, conducted by the southern California-based Campus Computing Project, was released Wednesday.

Results from the survey, conducted for the past 15 years, are compiled from reports completed by institutions nationwide. It is the largest survey of colleges and universities on information technology.

NU did not participate in the survey last year, but NUIT has made an effort in the past year to increase computer security, said Wendy Woodward, director of Technology Support Services.

For example, NU enforced the NetPass computer inspection program in residence halls when students moved back in this fall. The program scans each computer, looking for vulnerabilities and infections, when it is connected into the campus system for the first time or when the NetPass program is reset, Woodward said.

The NetPass program had a “positive impact” in the computer security measures on campus, Woodward said.

Weinberg sophomore Mira Christanto said she has noticed more e-mails this year from NUIT, reminding students to update their

security systems.

“They’re getting us to update and be more cautious,” Christanto said.

The survey reported that more colleges also are developing stricter policies against illegal file sharing. There was a 10 percent increase of colleges with prohibitions on the illegal trading of music and movie files. More than 66 percent of institutions reported in 2003 that they had “appropriate use” policies to define file sharing, the survey reported.

NU’s existing policy, which does not allow illegal file sharing, has been in place for the past several years, Woodward said. And while NUIT does not monitor students’ file sharing activities, Woodward said students have exhibited “a continuing interest in wanting to do what is legal and right.”

In addition, the survey revealed information about funding for information technology programs at various colleges and universities. More than 24 percent of the 516 institutions made cutbacks this year in their information-technology programs, according to the survey. In 2003 more than 41 percent of the institutions who completed the project’s survey made cuts.

NUIT continues to look at the efficiency of its spending, Woodward said. She added that NU “has continued to invest heavily” in information technology.

“We’re always evaluating our budget and where we invest the funds we receive from the central administration,” Woodward said.

Reach Angela Tablac at [email protected].