Residents split over historic district proposal

Opponents and supporters of the proposed Oakton Historic District in south Evanston clashed at a public hearing Tuesday night as arguments erupted over whether the community really needed the designation.

Tuesday’s discussion centered on how much control government bodies would have if residents wanted to alter their homes. Some residents also complained about the lack of public involvement in the proposal, with several citizens calling for a neighborhoodwide vote on the issue.

“I don’t think we should in any way have them control what we can do or not do to our homes,” said Michael Newman, who lives on the 1000 block of Mulford Street. “That’s the whole crux of it. It drives me crazy.”

Evanston residents Jack Weiss and Barbara Gardner, who have been spearheading the campaign for the district, submitted an application to the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency for a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places during the summer. The state agency, which has to approve the nomination before it is sent to Washington for final consideration, will discuss the application in December.

The deadline for the city to submit comments on the issue has been extended one month to Dec. 8, in the hope of gathering more public input on the proposal.

The Evanston City Council asked the Evanston Preservation Commission to give its opinion on whether the area should be given historic status. The council will issue the city’s final comment.

Weiss and Gardner delivered a presentation to the Preservation Commission and residents about the historical and architectural significance of the area. A color-coded map of the district, showing the different ages of the buildings, also was on display.

Weiss said that there was confusion about the difference between a national historic district and a local historic district.

Residents living in a local historic district are required to go through a preservation review process if they want to alter their home, Weiss explained. Residents living in a national district, in comparison, are not required to go through such a review process before making alterations.

Homeowners in a national district only are required to go through a review process if they want to waive a zoning requirement. The Preservation Commission would only issue a non-binding advisory opinion to the city zoning board.

The bottom line, Weiss said, is that there is no additional review process for residents living within national historic districts.

“They are not prevented from doing anything to their homes,” Weiss said. “It’s been told to them time and time again.”

Residents of a national historic district also are eligible for a number of tax breaks. But Newman said the tax incentives were insignificant to most people living in the proposed area.

“We don’t need a committee to tell us that we have a special neighborhood,” Newman said.

Residents can send notarized letters in support of or opposition to the proposal to the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.

If a majority of property owners in the area object, the district will not be listed for nomination.

Newman said he planned to send a letter expressing his opposition.

Sandra Nagel, who has been living in the neighborhood for almost 10 years, expressed concern that the current laws could change and make it harder for residents to renovate their homes.

Nagel also complained that residents were notified by mail about the public meeting only several days before — hardly an impression that more public participation is wanted.

“(The most important issue is) giving over the autonomy of my house to the government and then the government having the opportunity to change the laws whenever they so choose,” Nagel said. “I’m more concerned about the bureaucracy and losing the rights of my home.”

The public hearing is tentatively scheduled to continue on Nov. 9 at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave.

Reach Mike Cherney at [email protected].