Council may rezone National-Louis campus

The former campus of the National-Louis University may be rezoned for single-family housing at tonight’s Evanston City Council meeting.

At the last city council meeting on Sept. 27, aldermen discussed rezoning the property, which currently is billed for university use, before it is sold. National-Louis officials announced plans last April to sell their Evanston property at 2808 Sheridan Road to move to a more accessible location.

The council is hoping to avoid some problems the city experienced with the sale of the Kendall College property. Developers bought the Kendall property last November when it was still zoned for university use, but have since presented proposals for high density housing to the displeasure of some aldermen and area residents.

“It’s to prevent a developer from … claiming we’re not allowing enough density for the neighborhood because they spent too much money on the property,” said Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th), who predicted the amendment will pass. “So they can’t buy it saying they expected to be able to put up a condominium because it’s zoned (for residential use).”

Rezoning the property will allow National-Louis to make interior renovations to its dormitories, although exterior changes will be forbidden.

The council also will discuss the possible purchase of three pieces of land near Prairie Avenue for the McCormick Boulevard reconstruction project. The city has asked the owner of the land, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, to donate the three tracts of land.

But if the owner declines to donate the land, the city could purchase the properties, which are appraised at $90,000. The city currently leases the land for a park, arboretum and golf course.

The city needs the land to widen McCormick Boulevard and to install a drain to the canal beside the road to prevent flooding.

Several Evanston residents have raised questions in the past few months about the environmental impact of the reconstruction project, which calls for the removal of 41 trees, including 11 elm trees.

Tisdahl said that 11 trees by the canal will be impacted by the installation of the drain, though the city plans to plant three trees for every one tree it will cut down.

The Evanston elm tree population has been hit hard the past few months with the spread of Dutch Elm disease. City officials said Evanston might lose 800 of the city’s 3,000 elm trees this year to the disease — twice the normal rate.

The council also will discuss plans to increase the salaries of five city positions. During the summer the Compensation Committee — with some aldermen-appointed members — recommended salary increases for the aldermen, mayor, city clerk, township supervisor and township assessor.

Some aldermen currently receive more compensation than others depending on the medical insurance benefits they choose.

If the insurance benefits are restructured, the committee recommends salaries for the aldermen increase from the current $10,000 per year to $15,000.

If the benefits system remains the same, salaries could increase to $10,600 to adjust for inflation.

“I think everyone is concerned about money at this point and how to balance budgets,” Tisdahl said. “Money is tight and any increases will be scrutinized carefully.”

The mayor’s salary could increase from $17,000 a year to $21,000.

The Administration and Public Works Committee and the Planning and Development Committee will meet at 7 p.m., with the full City Council meeting at 8:30 p.m.

All meetings are held at the Evanston Civic Center, at 2100 Ridge Ave.

Reach Yuxing Zheng at [email protected].