Accrediting commission initiates review of university today

Beginning today, Northwestern’s educational and financial practices will be reviewed during the university’s once-a-decade reaccreditation.

Thirteen representatives from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association will visit the Evanston and Chicago campuses through Wednesday for the three-day accreditation review. The representatives will talk with students, faculty and campus organizations to assess the undergraduate, graduate and professional programs.

Although several schools within the university receive individual reaccreditation on a more regular basis, NU undergoes a university-wide evaluation every 10 years.

NU officials were allowed to choose how the school is reviewed. In 2002 Provost Lawrence Dumas and deans from the university’s schools selected the special emphasis self-study option, which focuses specifically on interdisciplinary teaching and research.

NU officials previously submitted a self-prepared report to the Higher Learning Commission. Four faculty committees met from January 2003 to fall 2003 to research the role of cross-disciplinary programs at the university and sent the commission a finalized report in August.

As the commission representatives visit the university to meet with students and faculty, they will look for five criteria for reaccreditation.

NU must show that it efficiently organizes its human, financial and physical resources and that it meets its stated purposes.

The university also must demonstrate integrity in both its internal and external practices and prove it can continue to meet its goals.

The Associated Student Government Executive Board will meet today with the representatives to offer student perspectives on NU, said Prajwal Ciryam, ASG’s academic vice president.

In connection with the interdisciplinary emphasis of the reaccreditation, ASG officers will “probably” discuss its involvement with cross-school academics, including work on the Asian American Studies Program, Ciryam said.

ASG is involved in the reaccreditation review because it represents students’ interests on campus, Ciryam said.

“If you’re reaccrediting the university, it’s important to take into consideration the student experience here,” he said.

Other students and university staff will guide commission members from one location to another on campus during their stay.

The team of representatives will give an initial report of their evaluations to University President Henry Bienen on Wednesday. Findings will receive final approval from the commission before the reaccreditation decision is made.

Stephen Fisher, associate provost for undergraduate education, told the Daily three weeks ago that he expected the formal report will be completed before the end of the academic year.

Reach Angela Tablac at [email protected].