Senior leads squad in breakout season

Most Northwestern sports fans know names like Brett Basanez,T.J. Parker and Cristelle Grier, but outside the view of the casualfan lies senior Candice Cooper, captain of the Wildcats’ fieldhockey team.

Cooper is having a breakout season with 11 goals in 10 games,which puts her at ninth in the nation. The forward has led the Cats(6-4, 0-1 Big Ten) to their best start since 1995.

Cooper turned to field hockey after ending her ice hockey careerin fifth-grade. As a girl, she was a minority at the rink.

“The boys got taller and more physical, so I started playingfield hockey,” Cooper said.

Cooper’s sister, Bridget, played field hockey at Michigan Stateand was instrumental in advancing Cooper’s career.

“(Bridget) started playing field hockey a few years ahead of meand was a role model for me,” Cooper said. “She was always a fewsteps ahead of me and was successful in everything she did, so itbecame a challenge for me to keep up with her.”

Cooper was a four-year starter at New Trier High School inWinnetka, where she won state championships her freshman andsophomore years and led her team to a runner-up finish as captainher senior year. She also was named All-State twice.

Cooper said her father went to all her games and pushes her tosucceed.

“My father has been my coach in everything, always pushing me tobe better,” Cooper said.

“He supports me 100 percent and has always told me I can doanything I want if I work hard.”

Coach Kelly McCollum, who has been at NU for all of Cooper’sfour years, said she sees a different player from the one whostepped on campus as a freshman.

“She is more fit, much more versatile, a tremendous leader andis now very, very dangerous on attack,” McCollum said. “She is awinner and works hard to make everyone around her a winner.”

Senior defensive captain Morgan Kuhn has played with Cooperthroughout her career. In the pair’s first three years at NU, theCats went 17-35 but now are stronger.

“Our team has not done as well in the past few years,” Kuhnsaid. “We are the only two seniors on the team, and now that we area stronger team we want to win badly, more than anyone else.”

Freshman Cassie Miller has only played with Cooper for a coupleof months but already has been affected by her.

“Cooper has made me a better player and is a great role modelfor me,” Miller said. “She has taught me how to play the forwardposition and tells me how to improve myself. We work welltogether.”

Cooper is nearing the end of her career at NU, but plans tocontinue her education and eventually teach in an elementary orprimary school.

“I’m applying to grad school now and hope to go to school atnight and get a teaching aide position during the day next year,”Cooper said. “Eventually I would like to help coach local fieldhockey teams.”

Cooper and the rest of the Wildcats are set to play No. 17Harvard today and No. 8 Michigan on Saturday.

“We need to play the same way we have been playing,” McCollumsaid. “Last weekend, our defense played at a top level and put usin a position to win.

“We did it against the number four team in the country, so Iknow we can do it against Harvard. Both games will be battles.”

Reach Abraham Rakov at [email protected].

Northwestern (6-4, 0-1 Big Ten) versus No. 17 Harvard (5-2, 2-0Ivy League) October 1, 12:00p.m, Phyllis Ocker Field, Ann Arbor,Mich.

Northwestern versus No. 8 Michigan

(7-3, 1-0) October 2, 12:00p.m., Phyllis Ocker Field, Ann Arbor,Mich.

Fast Fact: Northwestern has 298 wins since it became a varsitysport, a sweep this weekend will give the team its 300th win

field hockey

NU (6-4, 01 Big Ten) vs.

No. 17 Harvard (5-2)

When: Today at noon

Where: Ann Arbor, Mich.