Senior to lead the way in large meet

Senior cross country runner Diana Hossfeld started running as a 5 year old, when she was walking alongside her mother in a 5K.

“I suddenly just started running,” she said. “My mom yelled at me to slow down, but I kept going until I crossed the finish line. I ended up in second place for my age group.”

Now a three-time all-district cross country runner at Northwestern, Hossfeld often finds herself thrust into a leadership role on the team because of her seniority.

“I have a lot of experience,” Hossfeld said. “A lot of girls look to me as an example, especially in workouts.

“If I have a good attitude, it makes them have a good attitude. But if they see me not really trying, then they’ll wonder why they’re doing it.”

Motivated by a top-10 finish at Iowa two weeks ago, Hossfeld will help lead the team this Saturday at Minnesota’s Roy Griak Invitational, which will draw more than 3,000 collegiate and high school runners.

Hossfeld said she has found that the key to getting ready for a competition is to stay relaxed the night before.

“If you’re too nervous you might have trouble sleeping,” she said.

Then, on the morning of the race, she likes to listen to some music to pump her up. Her favorites are Jack Johnson and mix CDs.

She said she misses running along the beaches in her home state of California, since “all there is here is the Lakefill, and it’s just not the same.”

Hossfeld finished eighth in the Wildcats’ last competition, two seconds behind freshman Marie Grabinski.

Senior Lesley Meade also finished in the top 10, but NU lost to both Iowa and Loyola in the triangular meet.

NU coach Amy Tush said the key to success this season will be pushing other Cats runners to match the top three’s performances.

“Right now there is about a minute gap between our third and fourth runner, I’d like to get that down to about 45 seconds,” Tush said. “A lot of people could finish ahead of us in that one minute gap.”

Only the top five runners’ times will count in the team’s score Saturday, even though eight women will run.

Hossfeld, Meade and Grabinski will be joined by seniors Kyna Forkins and Caroline Speirs, junior Kalysta HarMonday, sophomore Casey Shea and freshman Allison Coren in the 6K race.

The Cats have had three meets so far this year, but this weekend’s invitational, one of the biggest in the nation, will really start the team’s season, Tush said.

Roy Griak Invitational

When: Saturday

Where: Les Bolstad Golf Course in

Minneapolis