New law may cut pollution, save money

A bill passed by the Illinois state legislature has the potential to conserve energy and save millions of dollars at the same time, and provide important benefits for cities like Evanston.

The bill, which still needs Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s signature to go into effect, would establish a statewide energy conservation building code. Similar codes passed by 38 other states establish guidelines for making new commercial buildings more energy efficient.

“It can conserve a lot of energy, and by conserving energy it reduces pollution (released) into the air,” said Nancy Wagner, senior policy advocate at the Chicago-based Environmental Law and Policy Center. “It will save businesses that use the energy standards money. It’s good for business.”

The code would require slightly more costly construction techniques, including certain window types, insulation and more efficient lighting. But it would take only three to five years for the energy savings to pay for extra construction — Afterwards tenants would save money, Wagner said.

The code would eliminate several hundred tons of pollution yearly and also save the state between $700 million and $1 billion in the next 20 years, according to the center.

The bill was co-sponsored by State Rep. Julie Hamos (D-Evanston) and will be beneficial for both Evanston and the entire state, said Mike Gwinn, Hamos’ chief of staff.

“It’s going to be positive in the long run because it’s going to save consumers money,” he said. “As an Evanstonian, I think it is right in line with what makes Evanston such a wonderful place to live, which is people thinking big thoughts and taking these stands.”

The city sent a letter to the governor endorsing the bill at the end of June.

“Encouraging that legislation is going to lead to benefits both environmentally oriented and financially oriented over time,” said Ald. Edmund Moran (6th). “It’s a good thing for municipalities to take a stand.”

A statewide code also would assuage the concerns of some city officials over a local code, said Joel Freeman, a member of the activist group Evanston Energy Future and member of the city’s Energy Commission.

“People in the city felt they could put Evanston at a slight disadvantage if contractors had to comply to this extra set of code for Evanston but not for surrounding suburban areas,” he said. “(But) if you’re not risking anything it’s a lot easier to endorse it.”

More than 40 Illinois municipalities, including Chicago, have already adopted similar codes, but not Evanston. A statewide code would be a victory for local activists who have lobbied for an Evanston code.

Evanston Energy Future spearheaded the effort to establish a citywide code through both petitions and members like Freeman who serve on public advisory boards. A statewide code would benefit Evanston in a number of ways, said group member Len Sciarra.

Developers often do not see the need to make their buildings energy efficient since their primary concern is selling the building, Sciarra said. So a statewide code would ensure that residents and businesses pay lower utility bills.

In addition, the code will relieve stress on Evanston’s aging electrical grid system.

“The energy code is not some radical document that’s going to make everyone not have beer anymore; it’s a very minimal standard,” Sciarra said. “It’s a joke that the city hasn’t adopted it. If Chicago can do it, a city like Evanston can do it.”

City Reporter Mike Cherney is a Medill sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected].