Retiring council member praised

A day after Ald. Gene Feldman (9th) announced his intention to retire at the end of his term next year, colleagues on Evanston City Council said his leadership and expertise were critical for transforming downtown into a vibrant economic locus for the city.

After more than 17 years on City Council, Feldman announced Monday that he won’t run again in 2005 because “it’s time for a change.”

“If I had decided to run, I could make a good case for that,” said Feldman, 72. “I want to spend more time doing something else.”

Ald. Arthur Newman (1st) echoed several other council members when he called Feldman a “true Evanstonian.”

“He was totally professional, he had big ideas for the city, and he followed through with them,” Newman said. “The community was really lucky to have him for 18 years.”

Feldman said he appreciated his time on the council, where he fought to ensure constituents received “the kind of service that enables people to feel that they have an advocate in the city.”

Feldman said he had been in the right place at the right time, and was able to play central roles in the design process for the new Evanston Public Library building, 1700 Orrington Ave., and the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave. He marked the progress made during his eight years as chairman of the Economic Development Committee as one of his best achievements.

Indeed, other aldermen attributed downtown’s new development to Feldman.

“He helped bring the city of Evanston to where it is today, ” said Ald. Ann Rainey (8th). “He didn’t do it alone but he did provide leadership, and given his leadership we accomplished more than we could have without it.”

Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said there will be a hole in the council when Feldman retires.

“It’s like when you have Babe Ruth sit down and his rookie counterpart take over, there is going to be a reduction in competence for a while,” he said. “He has been there and done that, and it’s always good to have the ability to turn to someone for guidance.”

Rainey said that although she wasn’t surprised to hear Feldman’s decision, she would have liked him to stay on another term.

“When he leaves it’ll cause the council to be out of balance,” she said.

In his last year, Feldman said he will focus on three major issues: starting the Sherman Plaza project, moving the Civic Center and replacing the Robert Crown Center, 1701 Main St.

“There’s a lot on the plate and a short time left for me,” he said. “There’s an old Jewish saying that is ‘we may not be able to finish the work, but at least we can make the beginning.'”

Feldman looks forward to traveling more, seeing his 12 grandchildren, and immersing himself in hobbies such as photography and scuba diving.

Feldman announced his decision at last night’s council meeting to provide any potential candidates the time to prepare for the upcoming election next year. But there are no declared candidates for Feldman’s seat.

Evanston activist Mimi Peterson, who ran in 2001 for Fourth Ward alderman, said she had not heard of any possible candidates and that she has no definite plans to run.

“I really don’t have an announcement,” said Peterson, who now lives in the Ninth Ward. “I’m really interested in what’s going to take shape in the next few months, and I’m really looking forward to the discussion in the Ninth Ward.”