Awareness weeks draw attention to causes from AIDS to Israel

Four student groups are hosting events this week to bring attention to their causes as part of Africa Presence Week, AIDS Awareness Week, Israel Week and Poverty Awareness Week.

Africa Presence Week began Sunday with a fashion show in the Louis Room at Norris University Center. The show featured the clothes and cultures of peoples throughout Africa, said African Student Association President Sade Adekunle, a Weinberg junior.

“It’s a celebration of the different traditions (of Africa),” she said.

The show presented traditional African ceremonies in the major life stages, including naming at birth, rites of passage and marriage. Twenty-four models and dancers presented fashions including colorful headdresses and loose-fitting fabrics. The show also featured comedy by NaNa Ofori-Ansah, McCormick ’03.

Africa Presence Week is sponsored by the Program of African Studies and the African Students Association and continues through Friday with featured speakers and a film Tuesday on the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa.

Northwestern Community Development Corps is sponsoring Poverty Awareness Week, with events that include writing letters to congressmen at The Rock to support anti-poverty legislation.

The letter-writing event, held today, is co-sponsored by Peace Project. NCDC’s highlight event is the Hunger Banquet on Thursday, said Katy Schumaker, special events co-chairwoman.

“It’s really effective because its interactive,” said Schumaker, a Weinberg junior. “It really touches people so they start to understand more what world hunger looks like instead of just seeing numbers.”

Participants randomly receive a sheet of paper with biographical information. Most people fall into a low social class in an impoverished country.

Because the food is divided up according to real economic conditions, the “poor” receive a bowl of rice to share without utensils, while sitting on the floor, Schumaker said.

A second group, representing more developed nations, receives beans and rice on individual plates. The elites, about four percent of the population, are served plenty of food, drinks and dessert, Schumaker said. The banquet will be held from 5-7 p.m. in the Sheil Catholic Center basement.

Students for Israel is hosting two events this week to teach students about Israeli culture. The Israeli group group King David Peace Drummers will perform Tuesday at the fire pit at 6:30 p.m., said Jason Wagner, president of Students for Israel.

“Imagine an Israeli version of Boomshaka with all-natural instruments rocking out,” said Wagner, a Weinberg freshman.

The drummers will perform with handmade instruments, such as the shofar — a ram’s horn traditionally used during the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, Wagner said.

Students for Israel plans to rent out Caf