New event same as bar night, but moved up to happy hour

Northwestern students looking to start their weekend partyingearly can come to Norris University Center this afternoon forAssociated Student Government’s inaugural Friday After Classevent.

Friday After Class, or FAC, is Norris bar night bumped up a fewhours, said Ted Haller, an Associated Student Government off-campussenator and event organizer.

The event marks the earliest time that university administratorshave ever approved serving alcohol at Norris. Drinks will be servedfrom 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Gathering Place in Norris. FAC is opento students 18 and up. Students 21 and up can drink afterpresenting a WildCARD and valid photo ID.

Haller said he wants FAC — unlike the bar nights — to become aweekly occurrence.

“We hope that the earlier time will help (improve attendance),”said Haller, a Medill junior. “Before, we were competing with thebars in Evanston that had great deals of their own.

“Now we hope people will meet up on campus and decide whatthey’re doing for the rest of the weekend,” he said.

Money also was an impetus to create the new event, Haller added.Poor attendance at the last bar night lost ASG a few hundreddollars.

“We’re not expecting to make a profit,” Haller said. “(Barnights) never do. But we don’t want to lose anything near whatwe’ve been losing.”