Bank slated for open spot

A local bank is set to build a new branch this fall in the plot left vacant by Russ’ Auto Service, the long-time Evanston business that closed its doors two weeks ago.

First Bank and Trust will build a drive-through bank on the site, 824 Emerson St., to provide more flexible banking for its customers, said Howard Kain, the bank’s managing director. Started more than eight years ago, the bank currently has two offices in Evanston but no drive-through services.

“We don’t have a drive-through at our existing location because the space would not accommodate it,” Kain said. “We are looking forward to increasing the convenience for our customers and potential customers.”

The new building will have a drive-through ATM and three lanes of regular drive-through banking services, as well as a small lobby and safe, Kain said. He also noted that the site was one of the only plots in downtown Evanston that would be suitable for drive-through facilities.

“It’s very accessible, you can reach it from east or west or south,” he said. “It’s one of the few sites in downtown Evanston that would accommodate the bank.”

First Bank and Trust inked a deal to rent the property last fall, and a special use permit for the site was approved by Evanston City Council in January, Kain said. Although the site is zoned as a normal commercial area, the bank was required to get a special-use permit because it would be a drive-through building.

“Drive-through facilities create issues with traffic and cars queuing up,” said Judith Aiello, the assistant city manager. “(Requiring a special-use permit) is a way to make sure that the plans mitigate any negatives that are there for any reason.”

The bank has submitted its architectural drawings to the city for approval, and Kain said he expects the city’s final endorsement in the next month. Aiello also predicted few problems, and said the city viewed the new plans positively.

“It’s a convenience for the customers, so hopefully the bank will do well,” Aiello said. “They are good corporate citizens.”