Debate checks reality of ideas

Andy Kaufman wants to work on campus safety through methods other than improving shuttles — he wants to use golf carts and retinal screening.

“As a computer science major, I know retinal screening devices are possible on campus,” said Kaufman, a presidential candidate in the Associated Student Government elections, at Tuesday’s ASG sponsored debates.

But his opponent in the pursuit of ASG’s top office, Weinberg junior Jane Lee, said implementing Kaufman’s suggestions wouldn’t be easy.

“While my opponent recognizes transportation on campus can be improved by golf carts, we need to look at the feasibility of that,” Lee said.

Kaufman, a McCormick sophomore, continuously addressed his platform’s top priority: decreasing lead poisoning on campus.

“I bring new ideas to the table as opposed to the ideas Jane’s had for years,” Kaufman said.

Lee said she wants to focus on more feasible solutions, including improving campus shuttle services and building community through events like Sports Night at Norris University Center.

Before the relaxed atmosphere of the presidential debate, the candidates for executive vice president engaged in more formal discussion.

ASG committee experience and student groups leadership were at the center of the debates between Communication sophomore Howie Buffett and Weinberg junior Karla Diaz.

Diaz said being a leader of the Latino cultural group Alianza and working with Panhellenic Council showed her the frustrations groups encounter.

“Because I’m an outsider, I bring this very different perspective of what this committee is and what the committee should be,” Diaz said.

Diaz emphasized student groups need to be made aware of on- and off-campus funding. She also said she wanted to create a Web site for groups to communicate and collaborate, including “how-to tips” to guide groups in promoting events.

Buffett said he wants to work on more funding for B- and T-status groups, recognized groups that don’t receive ASG funding; expand the number of student group positions on the executive committee; and increase diversity within ASG and the Executive Committee.

He added that experience on the executive committee, something he already has, is key. “We’re going to need to know each committee member and what their abilities are,” he said.

Endorsements split

The Interfraternity Council, representing Northwestern’s fraternities, backed Diaz for executive vice president following meetings with her and Buffett on Wednesday. But the Progressive Alliance, a coalition of 11 student groups, endorsed Buffett over Diaz.

Phil Stuart, vice president of public relations for IFC, said Diaz’s involvement in a sorority and work as the vice president of education for Panhel helped her secure IFC’s endorsement. Her experience as president of Latino cultural group Alianza and her ideas presented to IFC also contributed to the choice, he said.

“We know she’s familiar with the things that concern us,” said Stuart, a Medill junior.

But Diaz said she didn’t think her connection to the Greek community affected IFC’s choice.

“I want their support as a candidate, not as a Greek member,” she said.

Buffett, who is not a member of the Greek system, said he wasn’t surprised by IFC’s endorsement of Diaz.

“If (IFC) had based their decision purely on our platforms and not our personal involvement in the Greek community, their decision probably would have been a little different,” Buffett said.