Presidential race centers on building community

The candidates for Associated Student Government’s top officedon’t cross boundaries; they reconstruct them. As Jane Lee andAndrew Kaufman vie for the right to represent Northwestern’sundergraduate population, student transportation and classregistration stand to change in their wake.

Kaufman and Lee’s platforms map out different routes for ASG andthe programs they want to see implemented, but they arrive at thesame destination: an improved sense of community atNorthwestern.

KAUFMAN: ‘GET THINGS DONE’

Kaufman, who plays defense on NU’s men’s club ice hockey teamand is an active member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, hasn’tserved on ASG. But he said his external experience has developedhis decision-making abilities.

Kaufman’s platform includes increasing funding to the intramuralprogram, using golf carts to shuttle students around campus andbringing attention to cases of lead poisoning on campus. Kaufmanalso said he wants to create teams for community-buildingactivities like badminton, kite-flying, model trains and figureskating.

“Last year everything people had on their platforms, I didn’tsee change,” Kaufman said.

Kaufman said ASG consistently is unable to create progressbenefitting the student body.

“One of the main problems is the constant (need for)subcommittees for everything,” he said, adding that the multiplecommittees often have conflicting responsibilities. Kaufman saidbecause of this, it takes too long for issues and bills to getapproved.

Kaufman said one of the main reasons he is running forpresidency is to provide competition in the race.

“There’s no reason for someone to run unopposed,” he said.”There’s no reason for someone to come into office without workingfor it.”

The fact that Kaufman has not held a major ASG position willallow him to come into the organization with fresh ideas, saidMcCormick senior Steve Gondek, a member of Kaufman’s fraternity.Gondek cited Kaufman’s work with other groups as qualifications forthe office.

“It’s pretty much taught him how to work well with a bunch ofdifferent kinds of people and get things done,” Gondek said.

LEE: ‘REACHING OUT’

Lee said she didn’t make up her mind to run for president untillate Winter Quarter when she realized the position would give her achance to ensure issues that frustrated her as a student would bechanged.

Lee, outgoing ASG external relations chairwoman, said she thinksshe mainly is known for her work on redistricting Evanston.

In a conversation last year with Ald. Arthur Newman (1st), Leelearned Newman planned to spread out student representation tothree wards, which would decrease the impact NU student voters haveon city issues. Through lobbying city officials and aldermen, aswell as mobilizing students this fall against the redistrictingmeasures, Lee was able to help preserve the two-ward studentrepresentation.

Lee’s platform goals include establishing a sense of communityamong NU students, creating partnerships among students andadministration and improving ASG’s internal structure.

“One of the things we didn’t do well this year is reaching outto the student community,” Lee said.

Lee also said she wanted to address student concerns bystandardizing wait-list procedures for classes; having studentshelp other students with job and internship searches; and hiringmore adjunct lecturers to allow for additional specializedclasses.

In addition to working on Evanston redistricting, Lee said sheworked on organizing Big Bite Night — a day during New StudentWeek when local restaurants offer free samples to NU students witha WildCard.

Lucile Krasnow, NU’s special assistant for community relations,worked with Lee throughout her time as external relationschairwoman, specifically on planning Big Bite Night. Krasnow saidLee’s work on Big Bite Night and with redistricting proved herworthiness as a candidate.

Lee knows what is required to complete a goal, Krasnow said, andLee’s knowledge of the campus allows her to get things done.

“When Jane decides to work on a project, she follows throughabsolutely beginning to end,” Krasnow said.