West Virginia celebrates 100th birthday

West Virginia couldn’t have picked a better night to host the game celebrating its basketball team’s 100th birthday.

It was a sellout crowd. It was against one of the Big East’s top teams.

There was only one thing wrong with the night: the Mountaineers didn’t win. They fell to then-No. 5 Pittsburgh, 67-58.

But that didn’t stop the fans from coming out. The Mountaineers sold out their home court for the first time in almost six years. Team alumni were in the crowd, and tributes to past players and games were shown on the big screen.

The team honored its history by wearing throwback blue uniforms resembling those worn by its 1959 NCAA runner-up team.

“I know for our players it was exciting,” West Virginia coach John Beilein told the Times West Virginian. “You just hate to send those people home without a win.”

ANDRE 2,112: Without any help from his coach, Texas Tech’s Andre Emmett broke the Big 12 scoring record Saturday night.

Red Raiders’ coach Bobby Knight didn’t even start the senior — the first time that’s happened this season. Emmett wasn’t on the court for the game’s first eight minutes. Knight apparently was disappointed in his star’s defensive performance in last week’s loss to Colorado.

Emmett entered the game needing only four points to reach the record of 2,098. He notched the total on a one-handed dunk with 7:54 remaining in the first half.

Knight avoided applauding Emmett’s accomplishment.

“That’s a neat thing for a kid to have,” Knight told The Associated Press. “But what it means to me is that a lot of kids have worked like hell to get him the ball, screen for him and get him open.”

Emmett passed Kansas’ Nick Collison’s total from 2000-03, and he now has 2,112 points. His 1,045 career conference points are only 78 shy of the conference record set by Texas A&M’s Bernard King.

SCANDALICIOUS: A new investigation of an old scandal is bringing problems to St. Bonaventure.

The school’s basketball program has been put on probation for three years, and its former coach is seeking pay owed him from last season.

The NCAA put the team on probation Thursday after further investigation into last year’s scandal involving an ineligible player. The conference said St. Bonaventure exhibited “a lack of institutional control.”

In its investigation, the NCAA looked into the situtation involving Jamil Terrell, a junior college transfer on last year’s team. Last year, Terrell had been playing with his junior college’s “certificate of welding,” which did not meet NCAA academic requirements.

As a result, the school was forced to forfeit six games and voluntarily forfeited the season’s final two contests.

After last week’s renewed investigation, the NCAA put responsibility on St. Bonaventure president Robert Wickenheiser, who was forced to resign last year. The NCAA claims that Wickenheiser ignored senior athletic department officials, who pointed out the player’s ineligibility.

Thursday’s announcement declared the Bonnies ineligible for postseason competition this season, and the team was stripped of three scholarships.

The NCAA’s investigation also cleared former coach Jan van Breda Kolff of committing any infractions. Van Breda Kolff claims he was wrongfully dismissed and is looking for the $1 million he says is left from last year’s contract.

Van Breda Kolff’s lawyer, Lew Connor, said he hopes to settle matters with the team next week before considering legal action.

“Total wrongful termination. They should not have dismissed him as coach,” Connor said. “Hopefully, I can convince St. Bonaventure to do the right thing so we’ll never have to test that (in court).”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.