Trial of 2 suspects in fall robbery of graduate student postponed again

SKOKIE — The court cases of two Evanston men charged with robberies during Fall Quarter was postponed Thursday so the men and their attorneys can meet with Skokie Circuit Court Judge Marcia B. Orr today.

No date for the next court appearance has been set, said a spokesperson for the Cook County state’s attorney office.

Tavares Z. Tyson, 21, of the 1800 block of Lemar Avenue, and Anthony L. Jones, 20, of the 1300 block of Fowler Avenue, were arrested Nov. 22 for the robbery of a Northwestern graduate student. Tyson, who is being held in prison, and Jones face two counts of theft and robbery. Jones is also charged with attempted robbery and aggravated battery.

Jones’ attorney, Mark F. Pasterski, McCormick ’84, said the incident police call a robbery was nothing more than a “panhandling case.”

Pasterski said the two men approached the student and Tyson asked the student for money. After the student gave them $5, the men were picked up by police.

Thomas E. Verdun, Tyson’s attorney, could not be reached for comment.

The men last appeared in court Jan. 29, when a continuance was granted until the court could access time-stamped transcripts of the 911 tapes from the Nov. 22 incident. Pasterski said he believes these tapes would show the student did not call 911 about the robbery.

Orr had the tapes Thursday, but Pasterski said he had not yet listened to them.

Jones also faces robbery and battery charges. An NU student identified him in connection with an Oct. 3 incident, police said.

In previous interviews Pasterski has said he doubted the reliability of the lineup method used by police to identify Jones.

The Daily’s Scott Gordan contributed to this report.