Evanston’s Hot Pink to close, as owner focuses on other locations

All clothes, purses and sunglasses in Hot Pink, a local clothing retailer, are marked down to clearance prices as the store prepares to close its doors.

Owner Clai Green was not available Wednesday for comment, but employee Katie Ryan said the Evanston store is closing to focus more on other locations.

Ryan said although this year’s business at the Evanston location, 1611 Sherman Ave., was steady, sales did not match that of previous years.

She said merchandise from Evanston will be moved to Hot Pink stores Chicago locations in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park — both also owned by Green.

“He’s really excited with the Wicker Park and Lincoln Park locations,” Ryan said, “so maybe he’s just not as happy with this location.”

The Evanston store, which opened four years ago, was supposed to close last Sunday but is slated to stay open until Feb. 22. Ryan said Green might extend the closing date even further to sell more inventory.

Loyal Hot Pink shoppers will follow the merchandise when it moves, Ryan said.

“They always go into the city anyway,” Ryan said. “A lot of them go to our Lincoln Park store.”

Weinberg junior Katie James said she visited Hot Pink, but is not sad to see it go.

“Most people shop at Urban (Outfitters) or Asinamali,” she said. “I don’t really think I’ll miss it.”

Although student purchases comprise 60 percent of Evanston’s Hot Pink sales, Ryan said neither she nor the owner are worried about a drop in business.

“The NU students are great,” she said, “but we have a huge clientele at the other locations.”

Ryan said different styles are sold at each store — with more club-oriented clothes sold at the downtown locations, and bar and casual items in Evanston.

“In Wicker Park pretty much anything sells,” she said.

Customers have taken advantage of sales since the store’s closing was announced in January, Ryan said. Besides the 50-percent-off sale, one rack in the store offers a discount of 60 percent, and a $5 bin is near the register.

“Everything’s 50 percent off, so even if they don’t need it, I think they buy it,” Ryan said.

Ryan said the most popular items sold were dresses, and the store is not receiving new inventory. But Green sometimes brings sale items from the other two stores, Ryan said.

Some downtown Evanston clothing retailers said they don’t expect a drastic change in sales with Hot Pink’s closing.

Kellie Poulos, owner of Asinamali, 1722 Sherman, said she does not consider Hot Pink a competitor because the clothes at her store are earthier than Hot Pink’s “clubby, tight-fitting” items. But she said she is sorry to see Hot Pink leave the Evanston area.

“It’s nice to have other stores on the street that are different,” Poulos said, noting that the variety of stores and clothing options brings customers to the area.

Clothing store Presence, 1631 Sherman, might gain a few more customers, but the increase won’t be significant, Manager Jennifer Teruel said. The styles offered in Presence and Hot Pink are different, she said, as Presence offers more casual clothes.

“I know that a lot of people who shop at Hot Pink also shop at our store,” Teruel said. Hot Pink still has two locations nearby, and she thinks loyal customers will go to those stores.

Ryan said she doesn’t know which business will occupy Hot Pink’s space. The lease, managed by Robinson Rentals, has not yet expired.

Representatives from Robinson Rentals, 1609 Sherman Ave., could not be reached Wednesday for comment.