Cultural groups bring laughs

For some cultural student groups dealing with stereotypes, a little laughter could lighten the mood.

A week after journalist-turned-comedian Ray Hanania brought their culturally driven humor to campus, another minority comic used similar techniques to raise awareness Tuesday night at Norris University Center’s Gathering Place.

The events represent a growing trend among Northwestern cultural groups to bring more entertainment-oriented speakers to campus.

Muslim comic Azhar Usman, who performed Tuesday, is becoming a popular presence on the comedy circuit, said Danish Qureshi, co-president of Muslim-cultural Students Association, the event’s sponsor. Although Usman’s approach to Muslim culture differs from most speakers McSA brings to campus, Qureshi said he thought Usman’s presentation would have just as much impact for audience members.

“He does a good job of dispelling stereotypes,” said Qureshi, a Weinberg junior. “He gets people to laugh at their own fears of Muslim people and gets them to see that those fears are irrational.”

Cultural comedy shows are not unknown on campus. Both the Latino student group Alianza and the black student group For Members Only have comedy shows every Spring Quarter. But at least three additional groups known for bringing academics and intellectuals have joined FMO and Alianza in featuring humorous events.

The South Asian Students Alliance brought actor Kal Penn, who played Taj Mahal Badalandabad in “National Lampoon’s Van Wilder,” to campus Fall Quarter. And the Middle Eastern Students Association invited Hanania and two other cultural comedians Jan. 17.

The decision to bring a humorous speaker might offend some students, Qureshi said, as comedians often make light of problems facing minorities. But the danger of belittling ethnic experiences is present with any speaker a group brings to campus. Having an academic person address a broad cultural issue could prove just as problematic, he added.

“(Mixing programming) gives us a more rounded view of our population,” Qureshi said. “Our purpose is to put on events that meet our goals and please the students at NU.”

Choosing a jokester instead of an academic also draws a broader spectrum of students to attend cultural events, said Rakesh Baruah, co-president of SASA. Before SASA decided to bring comedic actor Penn to campus this fall, Baruah said SASA’s executive board debated the merits of bringing a “lighter” speaker.

Attendance is important for A-status cultural groups to ensure funding from Associated Student Government, Baruah said. During Fall Quarter actor Penn drew more than 100 people to Harris Hall, which Baruah said was a large turnout for SASA.

And in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001, Baruah said Middle-Eastern, South-Asian and Arab communities need to find humor in the “paranoid” view that these ethnic groups breed future terrorists.

“With the (USA) Patriot Act and other policies, it’s gotten to the point where we have to laugh because things are so serious,” Baruah said. “It becomes more meaningful than debate.”