Bird’s number retired at Indiana State (National Men’s Basketball Insider)

Larry Bird’s No. 33 will be retired by Indiana State, the university announced Thursday.

The ceremony at Indiana State’s Hulman Center will occur during halftime at the school’s last home game on Feb. 28. Former player Duane Klueh’s No. 54 also will be retired.

Bird’s number already was retired by the Boston Celtics, where he played 13 seasons. It has not been worn since his departure from Indiana State, but the university wants to make it official.

“This is long overdue in both their cases,” Indiana State athletic director Andi Myers said.

These are the first two jerseys to be officially retired by Indiana State.

Bird led the Sycamores to a 33-1 record in 1979, when they lost in the NCAA Tournament championship game. After setting 29 school records, he finished his career as Indiana State’s all-time leading scorer with 2,850 points. In his senior season, Bird was named an All-American and college Player of the Year.

BAD INFLUENCE: No. 8 Louisville’s assistant coach was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol early Sunday, hours after his team’s victory against Tulane.

Kevin Willard, who failed several sobriety tests, is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Willard is in his third year as the Cardinals’ assistant coach.

“Even though he is close to me, he will be dealt with just as anyone else on my staff or team would be,” Louisville coach Rick Pitino said. “Whatever legal penalty he may or may not face, the penalty within our basketball program will be dealt with in a serious manner.”

POLL CLIMBING: This week Duke is sitting where it’s most comfortable — at the top of both the Associated Press and USA Today/ESPN men’s college basketball polls. The Blue Devils moved up one spot in the AP poll, replacing Connecticut at No. 1.

This is the seventh straight season in which Duke has reached the top of the poll, the second-longest streak in history. UCLA holds the record with 12 consecutive seasons, from 1964-1975.

Duke earned its spot by beating then-No.4 Wake Forest 84-72 on Saturday, the same day North Carolina upset then-No. 1 Connecticut 86-83. Connecticut has held the No. 1 ranking for eight weeks, including the last five.

Unbeaten in their last 11 games, the Blue Devils hold a 35-game home winning streak.

“Being No. 1 is very important to us, and we actually earned it,” Duke senior guard Chris Duhon said Monday. “This team has matured, and right now we feel we are the best in the country.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report