U.S. Senate candidates to answer questions at NU

Republican primary candidates for U.S. Senate will debateSaturday at a free forum co-sponsored by Northwestern CollegeRepublicans.

Ben Kohlmann, president of College Republicans, said five of theseven candidates vying for the nomination are expected to gatherfor debate at noon in Fisk Hall room 217.

Kohlmann said the debate will give NU students a chance to getacquainted with the state’s political issues.

“It is a good opportunity to bring some major players inIllinois Republican politics here,” he said.

Unlike a traditional debate, candidates will not square offagainst each other, Kohlmann said. Instead, they will take thestage one at a time to answer any questions the audience andmoderators might direct at them.

Kohlmann said the format will give the candidates a betteropportunity to stake out their political platforms.

“I think it showcases each of the candidates’ positions better,in that they will not get bogged down in arguing about things,” hesaid. “Debates are really fun, but you don’t always get a lot ofthe candidates because they just end up arguing with eachother.”

The candidates expected to attend are: former teacher andinvestor Jack Ryan, businessman Andy McKenna, state Sen. StevenRauschenberger, attorney Jonathan Wright and retired Air Force Maj.Gen. John Borling.

Candidate Jim Oberweis is expected to send a representative tothe forum, Kohlmann said, while candidate Chirinjeev Kathuria isnot expected to attend.

Kohlmann characterized Ryan — who has been leading in polls –as the race’s front-runner.

Representatives for the major candidates said they hope to usethe forum to both push issues important to them and to reach out toyounger voters.

“It’s just a great opportunity to get out the vote for theyounger generation,” said Kelli Phiel, Ryan’s communicationsdirector.

Charlie Stone, Rauchenberger’s communications director, said hethinks Rauchenberger’s experience as a state senator will give himan edge among voters.

“He’s won three tough, contested elections,” Stone said. “Heloves campaigning, he’s good at it and he’s looking forward to thisSaturday.”

The College Democrats are hosting a similar forum Jan. 21 forcandidates seeking the Democratic nomination.

All the candidates are vying for the Illinois senate seat thatRepublican Sen. Peter Fitzgerald will vacate after the Novemberelection.

The Illinois general primary will take place March 16. Thedeadline for voter registration is Feb. 17.