Group seeks to educate NU on Persian culture, language

From parties to new classes, Persian American Representatives of Students is working hard to spread awareness of Persian culture.

“There’s a 3,000-year-old culture that really needs to be exposed to the university,” said Hossein Mirheydar, who founded the group Spring Quarter. “Establishing the infrastructure of this organization was a lot of work, but … I think it was well worth it.”

The group is currently a T-status, or temporary, group under Associated Student Government guidelines. It is currently applying to be recognized by ASG as a B-status group.

The group’s first project was lobbying to establish a Persian language class, which became available as an independent study course Fall Quarter. This winter students can take elementary Persian through the African and Asian languages department to satisfy language requirements.

“The university has another rich language that they can sell to their students and prospies,” said Mirheydar, a McCormick senior. “It makes a good statement as well about Northwestern’s attention to the Middle East. … People may become more interested in taking Persian history and Persian literature.”

The group is also working to increase interest in Persian culture and Iran by sponsoring a yearlong lecture series, which started Wednesday with a speech on United States foreign policy.

The group held a party Saturday where more than 100 people gathered to enjoy Persian culture with hookahs, belly dancing, and Persian food and music.

“If you provide an environment where people can have fun and interact with each other, race and ethnicity will slowly slip out of the consciousness and create more diversity,” said Majid Boroujerdi, a McCormick senior.