Day 4: Downhill battle

Last year Stephanie Leep noticed that many of her peers were suffering from depression, but nothing was being done. Because of the negative stigma of depression, discussion was rare, she said.

“I wanted to reach people who were depressed and hoped that we could begin to counter some of the negative attitudes they are confronted with,” she said.

Leep, a Weinberg junior, coordinated with religious groups to hold a fireside about depression in the Foster-Walker Complex. Student response to the Winter Quarter fireside was overwhelming.

“I was stopped everywhere from the dining halls to my church and thanked for my involvement in the fireside,” Leep said. “It was clear that this is an issue affecting a lot of people on this campus.”

Depression is one of the most widespread illnesses on college campuses. Fifteen percent of students struggle with a depressive illness, according to the University of Michigan Depression Center.

Increasing numbers of students nationwide are seeking psychological help — both for crisis situations and for long-term care.

In such a climate, many wonder how the Northwestern community can pay attention to the needs of every student.

Kathy Hollingsworth, director of NU’s Counseling and Psychological Services, said it’s not easy.

“The numbers of students seeking our help has gone up so rapidly that it’s hard to keep up,” she said.

‘A STRESSFUL TIME’

Depressive illnesses usually surface between the ages of 15 and 19, and experts say college students are particularly susceptible.

Thomas Kramer, director of the Student Counseling and Resource Center at the University of Chicago, said the rise in patients at universities may not indicate a more depressed population but rather that scientific advancements have enabled more students with mental illnesses to attend college.

“We’re seeing more disturbed kids because of the success of psychiatric treatment,” he said. “We’re seeing kids in college who probably would have never made it out of high school. They would have struggled without the treatments and medications we have now.”

Although Kramer said there are more serious cases at college campuses, the rate of depression is nothing new. “People tend to precipitate depression when they’re in unique situations,” he said. “It’s a stressful time.”

Jen Yeung, a Weinberg sophomore, said it’s hard to differentiate between sadness and depression. She said she knew it was a problem, but it didn’t affect her personally until a close friend revealed she was depressed.

“She had never seemed very happy, but I didn’t realize she was depressed,” Yeung said, adding that her friend now sees a therapist. She said some people have misconceptions about therapy.

“If you’re going into CAPS or therapy, it’s like there must be something really wrong with you,” she said. “But it doesn’t have to be that major; maybe you just need someone to talk to.”

Some students let the symptoms build instead of seeking professional help. Counseling centers must balance emergency calls with chronic issues such as social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and seasonal affective disorder, an illness triggered by lack of sunlight, said John Dunkle, associate director and staff psychologist at CAPS. But even if problems don’t signal an imminent crisis, Dunkle said he encourages everyone to refer students to CAPS.

JUGGLING RESPONSIBILITIES

Though depression is one of the most prevalent illnesses among students, other mental health problems can surface during college. Almost 7 percent of college students reported anxiety disorders in 2000, according to the National Mental Health Association. And although Dunkle said diagnosis of seasonal affective disorder is relatively new, it could signal larger issues.

“When we see students in the fall and winter, we sometimes think it may have a seasonal component,” he said.

To counter the dreariness of winter months, CAPS purchased lamps for light therapy. Students can use the lamps on site at CAPS or take them home for use in their rooms.

The Women’s Center, which offers counseling based on feminist therapy models, also is trying to raise awareness about depression. The center held an information session called “Understanding Depression” last week to inform students, faculty and staff about depressive illnesses and explain options for treatment.

Renee Redd, director of the Women’s Center, said depressive problems often surface because people strain themselves trying to balance multiple responsibilities, like when professionals juggle careers and parenting or students overload with academic and extracurricular obligations.

“Many students end up redoubling their efforts,” she said. “They say ‘I’m here to study, I don’t have time for relationships.'”

Communication sophomore Chris Hwang has seen some of these attitudes firsthand. He said some people create unhealthy environments from the beginning of college.

“It’s a time to find out who you are but some people do that in a more negative way,” he said. “They’re more harsh on themselves than they should be. Then there’s people out there who feel out of place because they can’t fit in socially. They can’t connect with other people.”

SUPPORT FROM STUDENTS

At the University of Pennsylvania, a student group called Open Minds formed in 2001 to spread mental health awareness. By sponsoring speakers and organizing conferences with other schools, Taylor Terkel, the club’s president, said she hopes students realize depression is not a weakness, but a disease that can affects everyone.

“Most people know someone with depression or are struggling with it themselves,” said Terkel, a senior from Austin, Texas. “It can happen to anybody, anytime.”

During her freshman year, one of Terkel’s best friends died in a car accident. She said she tried grieving alone, but dealing with the pain became overwhelming. She was only able to express her pain and continue with her college career after joining a grief group, she said. Through Open Minds Terkel said she hopes to give her peers a reliable place to turn.

“For six months it was horrible and I don’t want anyone else in that situation,” she said.

University of Pennsylvania graduate and founder of Open Minds, Alison MalMonday, is taking the group to a national scale. Malmon created a Washinton-based, nonprofit organization called Active Minds,. The organization now has chapters on seven college campuses and a Web site, www.activemindsoncampus.com, that encourages students to seek psychological help.

Leep said she hopes more members of the NU community, not just her fireside, help spread awareness of depression.

“More student-led events like (the fireside) would definitely be a positive thing on campus,” she said.

MORE COVERAGE

One student’s fight over depression boosted by little victories

Eccentricity or illness? A personal struggle with balancing obsessive tendencies

About the series

Mental-health issues often remain hidden, a solitary struggle for those who shoulder the burdens of depression, eating disorders, anxiety and many other diseases. Yet suicides on college campuses and a rise in students seeking psychological treatment nationwide are forcing universities, including Northwestern, to face the realities of mental disorders. State of Mind is an effort to break the silence. For seven days THE DAILY will explore the condition of mental-health services on campus and introduce students to five of their peers who have battled mental illness. In hopes of sparking discussion about these issues at NU, THE DAILY encourages participation in the dialogue. Please send any feedback to [email protected].

If you or s
omeone you know needs help …

*For 24-hour crisis assistance, call 847-491-8100
*CAPS offices are located on the second floor of Searle Hall, 633 Emerson St.
*To make a CAPS appointment, call 847-491-2151. Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
*CAPS holds emergency walk-in hours Monday through Friday from noon to 2 p.m.