Big Ten leaders tangle in Columbus

Purdue at Ohio State

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Columbus, Ohio

Line: Ohio State by 3

TV: ABC

Records: Purdue (8-2, 5-1 Big Ten), Ohio State (9-1, 5-1) What’s at stake: A share of the Big Ten title is on the line as two of the three conference leaders meet. Ohio State brings with it a 16-game home winning streak.

Overview: Ohio State’s rush defense was in tip-top form last week against Michigan State, as the Buckeyes limited the Spartans to a miniscule five total yards on the ground in their 33-23 win. Ohio State quarterback Craig Krenzel appears to have given the Buckeyes’ drab offense a major boost, as the senior threw for three touchdowns against Michigan State and completed 12-of-23 passes. The Boilermakers have responded nicely since their 31-3 blowout loss to Michigan, winning back-to-back games against Northwestern and Iowa.

Minnesota at Iowa

Time: 11 a.m.

Place: Iowa City, Iowa

Line: Even

TV: ESPN

Records: Minnesota (9-2, 5-2), Iowa (7-3, 3-3)

What’s at stake: Minnesota looks to finish the season with an undefeated road record when it travels to Iowa on Saturday. The winner of the contest will earn the rights to “Floyd of Rosedale,” a bronze pig statue that goes to the winner of the contest every year.

Overview: This year’s Golden Gophers are among the best teams in school history, with their first nine-win season since 1905. Led by sophomore Marion Barber III and freshman Laurence Maroney, Minnesota’s rushing attack is the best in the country, averaging 303.9 yards per game. The Hawkeyes counter with a staunch run defense, which has allowed an average of 80.2 yards per game on the ground. Iowa might be able to key on the Gophers’ running game more than usual, as Minnesota quarterback Asad Abdul-Kaliq is questionable due to a shoulder injury he suffered last week.

Michigan St. at Wisconsin

Time: 11 a.m.

Place: Madison, Wis.

Line: Wisconsin by 2

TV: ESPN2

Records: Michigan State (7-3, 4-2), Wisconsin (6-4, 3-3)

What’s at stake: Both teams hope to snap losing streaks: The Spartans have lost two, dropping them from the top of the Big Ten, and Wisconsin has suffered three straight.

Overview: Coach John L. Smith and the Michigan State offense have turned to quarterback Jeff Smoker with unabashed frequency, and with mixed results. Last week Smoker completed 35-of-55 passes and threw for 351 yards and two touchdowns. But he also threw two costly interceptions. Smoker has been intercepted three times in the last two games, after going four games without being picked off. Wisconsin orchestrated an impressive comeback effort against Minnesota last week but came up short on a last-second field goal by the Gophers. The good news for the Badgers is that quarterback Jim Sorgi looked fully recovered after having surgery on his left knee, throwing for four touchdowns and 305 yards.

Indiana at Penn State

Time: 11 a.m.

Place: State College, Pa.

Line: Penn State by 18 1/2

TV: ESPN Plus

Records: Indiana (2-8, 1-5), Penn State (2-8, 0-6)

What’s at stake: The Hoosiers go for their second straight win after narrowly defeating Illinois last week. Penn State hopes to notch its first Big Ten win of the season.

Overview: It wasn’t pretty, but Indiana snapped its 11-game Big Ten losing streak. Hoosiers quarterback Matt LoVecchio led the way, finishing the game 17 for 24 for 159 yards. Turnovers have been a bright spot for Indiana this season, as the team ranks third in the Big Ten with a plus-.30 margin. Penn State coach Joe Paterno has called this season the most difficult of his career. His team made things interesting against Ohio State and NU the past two weeks but dropped both contests, giving it six straight losses for the first time since 1931.