Guru of sex’ Dr. Ruth tells tales, advocates education

Pacing the stage at Owen L. Coon Forum, Dr. Ruth Westheimer told students about an American myth that masturbating causes hair loss. Then the 4-foot-7, 80-year-old therapist sauntered over to a bald man in the front row and shook his hand, eliciting audience applause.

Westheimer, author of “Sex for Dummies” and host of the syndicated radio show “Sexually Speaking,” entertained and advocated better sexual education in front of a packed crowd of 600 people Tuesday night.

“I’m rather old-fashioned and square, but I speak very explicitly because I believe that human sexuality has to be taught in a clear and precise language,” said Westheimer in her crackly German accent.

Westheimer, a “psychosexual” therapist, tried to dispel misconceptions about sexuality throughout her 90-minute speech.

She told the story of a 14-year-old patient who had been yelled at by his mother for wetting the bed since the mother didn’t know about nocturnal emissions. Westheimer said even highly educated people can be ignorant about sexual matters and cited a crowd of students at Harvard Law School who checked their hands after hearing a myth that masturbation could cause hair growth. She also told stories about how misconceptions of sex can cause unwanted pregnancies.

“One young woman said she and her boyfriend went to a party and engaged in their very first sexual intercourse,” Westheimer said. “She came to me asking how she got pregnant since she heard the first time doesn’t count.”

The audience applauded when Westheimer announced her support of legal abortion and argued that without it, poor women would be forced to resort to coat hangers as wealthier ones would go overseas.

“I know it’s controversial, but from where I stand abortion must remain legal, not as a contraceptive but when there is a contraceptive failure,” Westheimer said.

She said continued research into the field of sexual relations is incredibly important. She said she is impressed by the use of modern medical technology to monitor all the physical aspects of sex, from sweat and heart rates to vaginal lubrication in laboratory settings.

“Because of this data and because of us talking about it, there has been a tremendous change,” Westheimer said. “There are less women who are not orgasming.”

Westheimer gave some advice on sexual relationships to help partners fulfill each other’s needs.

“If she wants more sexual (gratification) … I say use your finger,” Westheimer said. “Go down on her. Perform cunnilingus. You can even use your big toe to give her an orgasm. If he wants more, I say don’t make such a big deal about it. It takes two minutes. Give him an orgasm.”

Though she advocates sexual literacy, Westheimer said she acknowledges the importance of privacy and boundaries.

“I don’t want anyone to call home and ask their mother, ‘Do you have orgasms?’ or ask their father, ‘Did you get it up last night?'” she cautioned.

Audience members were entertained and impressed with the speech.

“Dr. Ruth’s a legend,” said Alex Schoeny, a Music freshman. “She’s just so frank and intelligent, but when she talks it’s not like she’s talking down to anyone. She’s like a guru of sex.”

Weinberg freshman Megan Greene said she hopes people take Westheimer’s advice.

“She’s talking about all these tidbits of information and I’m looking around the room and hoping all these dudes are paying attention to this,” Greene said. “I just want to become her lackey and run around with her all the time.”