NU hosts Netherlands in 2nd exhibition game (Women’s Basketball)

“It will be a real game,” Northwestern women’s basketball coach June Olkowski says of her team’s second exhibition game. “We’re going to win.”

The game may not be Super Bowl III — and Olkowski is most certainly not “Broadway Joe” Namath — but any prediction of victory is meaningful for the Wildcats, who have won just six Big Ten games in the last four seasons.

NU will get an up-close look at “European play” tonight as the Cats continue their preparation for the regular season with an exhibition game against the Netherlands National Team at Welsh-Ryan Arena at 7 p.m.

The NU coaching staff was unable to acquire any film of the Dutch team and instead had to rely on verbal scouting from other European teams.

“I haven’t seen them,” Olkowski said. “I am just going off European play — shoot the three, backdoor cuts — but we haven’t seen them play in person.”

Olkowski believes the lack of film on the Dutch team will not hurt the Cats.

“Right now, it’s exhibition. It’s about us, and every game this year is going to be about us,” Olkowski said.

Since it is an exhibition game, Olkowski said each player on the Cats roster will see playing time. The game will also allow Olkowski to see which sets of players are the most productive on the floor. The Cats will also work through the different facets of their offense and defense to see what works.

“We’ll work our man and zone in,” Olkowski said. “We will work different combinatins to see who plays well together.”

The exhibition features the debut of the Cats three new freshmen — Breanne Smilie from Elk Grove, Ill., A.J. Glasauer and Alex Mueller, both of whom are from Germany.

The game will also serve as a tune-up for the Cats before their first official game of the season against Creighton on Nov. 21. With senior Kristin Ambrose and junior Maria McCarthy both battling recent injuries, this exhibition game will be a chance for them to get back on the floor and into game shape.

Olkowski also said that junior forward Suzanne Morrisson will be out indefinitely with an ankle injury that will require surgery.