3 men charged with theft of phones at student’s party

Three Evanston men were arrested late Friday and charged with stealing wallets and cell phones from guests at an NU student’s apartment.

Evanston Police Department officers arrested three men after one of the victims called in to report the thefts, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of EPD.

EPD officers watching the area saw three men enter the apartment building, which is located on the 800 block of Hamlin Street, Perry said.

The subjects were arrested at the corner of Maple Avenue and Simpson Street while carrying the stolen items, Perry said.

Christopher Foster, 18, of the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue; Anthony L. Jones, 21, of the 1300 block of Fowler Avenue; and Tavares Z. Tyson, 20, of the 1800 block of Lemar Avenue were each charged with one misdemeanor count of theft.

Dorothy Kronick told The Daily that she held a party at her apartment on the 800 block of Hamlin Street on Friday night and that cell phones and wallets were taken from several guests, who then called police.

Kronick, a Weinberg junior, said the guests identified the three men at EPD headquarters. She said that about 50 or 60 people were in her apartment at the time of the theft.

Kronick said many guests at the party initially thought it would not be worthwhile to call EPD and were surprised that arrests were made.

“I think it restored a lot of guests’ faith in the Evanston Police Department,” she said.

All three men are scheduled to appear Nov. 25 at Circuit Court in Skokie.