PLAY Corner: Politeness, if you please

Did you miss the senior etiquette banquet? Want to impress your new girlfriend’s mom this Parents’ Weekend? If you’re still confused about which fork to use with your Caesar, how to crack a lobster and who gets tipped what, check out one of the following. And don’t forget to write me a thank you note.

“Emily Post’s Etiquette, 16th Edition” ($38) is the 75th anniversary edition of the 1922 original definitive manners manual. Updated by granddaughter-in-law Peggy, you get the complete first edition plus modern guidelines for handling e-mail, call waiting, cell phones and stepparents. “Tested by time, trusted by millions,” this hardcover’s worth your money.

“The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette” ($32) was updated from its 1952 printing by the White House Staff Coordinator to Jackie Kennedy, a definitive arbiter of grace and style. Mainstay topics include: “The Informal Seated Dinner with a Maid,” “Horseback Riding and Fox Hunting,” and “Today’s Club Life.” The antiquated photo of the authors on the back flap might be enough on its own to scare off college students seeking civility.

“Better Than Beauty: A Guide to Charm” ($15) should be a must for every girl I’ve ever met. Topics include: “How to be kind to atrocious people,” “How to avoid the gossip mill,” “How many drinks is too many drinks,” and “How to deflect unwanted advances from married men.” Originally published in 1938, the purple and pink cover, complete with a svelte woman sipping champagne makes the point better than I could: It’s cute and fun, but don’t take it too seriously.

“Etiquette for Dummies” ($22) couldn’t be omitted from this list. Whether you’re confused in the workplace, at home, in church or at the bar, look no further. From eating asparagus to selecting the perfect bottle of wine to interacting with people who have disabilities, dummies everywhere will improve.