Swimmers ready to get wet in 1st meet of 2003-2004 season Swimmers ready to get wet in 1st meet of 2003-2004 season

The Northwestern’s men’s and women’s swimming teams begin their 2003-2004 season today when they take on Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The men’s team, coming off a fourth-place finish at the 2003 Big Ten Championships, is looking to build on last season’s success. Most of the squad’s top performers from last season return, including seniors Mark Hamming and Tony Swanson.

Both Swanson and Hamming competed in the 2003 NCAA Championships, where the Cats finished 26th.

Today’s meet will mark the college debut of freshman Matt Grevers, NU’s prized recruit. Last season Grevers, a backstroker, earned Chicago-Sun Times Athlete of the Year award for leading Lake Forest High School to the Illinois State Championship.

For the first time in four years, the Cats will be without their star butterflier, Kellan O’Connor, who graduated in June.

O’Connor consistently carried the Cats with first-place finishes in the 100- and 200- yard butterfly.

While the men turned in a successful 2003 season, NU’s women rode a string of injuries to a 7th place finish at the Big Ten Championship.

For the first time since 1987, no NU swimmer won an individual event.

The Cats return 17 swimmers, including Vicky West, who won the 1650-yard free style at the 2001 conference championship. NU is also hoping for another stellar season from Katie Paglini, a sophomore who paced the team’s backstrokers in 2002-2003.

Both the men’s and women’s swimming teams will also compete in the NU Relays on Sunday, an exhibition meet at Norris Aquatics Center.