Supplemental funds fall short for some

The Student Activities Finance Board revealed its recommendations for student group supplemental funding for Fall Quarter at Wednesday’s Associated Student Government Senate meeting, resulting in varying reactions from student group leaders.

Working with a pool of about $190,000, the SAFB recommended that some groups receive their full requests, while others receive nothing.

“Of course there is never enough money to go around, and I’m sure there will be several appeals,” said Erica Williamson, ASG’s financial vice president, who heads the process.

Funding recommendations are based on several factors, including a group’s fiscal responsibility and past programming success, Williamson said.

“For the most part, student groups are satisfied with what they received and any increases received should have been expected,” said Williamson, a McCormick senior.

The supplemental funding pool is smaller this year, she said, because groups turned in less revenue and unused funds than last year.

The 23 student groups requested about $320,000, and SAFB recommended only $172,000. The remainging five percent of the available funds have been set aside so senators can distribute it at next week’s meeting, where student groups can appeal recommendations.

Some student group leaders expressed disappointment in the funding they received. Northwestern Community Ensemble, a gospel choir, petitioned to received $8,000 to fund its Winter Quarter concert but received nothing.

Williamson said SAFB denied the group funding because of a financial-misconduct infraction in Spring Quarter. The group improperly distributed 500 tickets to the public for a concert funded by the Student Activities Fee.

“They weren’t keeping student interests first,” she said.

However, NCE President Tiffany Beard said the group will strongly contest the SAFB recommendation at next Wednesday’s ASG senate meeting.

“That was a whole other executive board,” said Beard, a Communication senior. “Being that the former executive board is gone, I don’t understand the logic of that. It’s really a shock to me, honestly.”

Beard said all members of the executive board will attend next week’s meeting and that they will “keep the faith and pray that everything will work out.”

“Even if we appeal and they don’t consider us, we’re just not going to stop there,” she said. “We’re not going to give up.”

Other groups said they were pleased with their recommendations.

A&O Productions chairwoman Natasha Little said she was satisfied with the $56,000 her group was recommended, even though the group had requested more than $140,000.

The recommendation provides enough funding for A&O’s winter comedian, which she said was a top priority for the group.

“It’s a program that we’re confident about and that we know we can do well,” said Little, a Communication senior.

In other business senators unanimously passed an emergency resolution calling for student support for Willard Residential College.

The resolution, written by A&O senator Doug Singer, calls for ASG to support the dorm in its efforts to secure a new common room and preserve the Frances Willard Party tradition on campus.

Fire officials told dorm government three weeks ago that the dorm’s common room was not large enough to safely hold all of its residents.

“I don’t think any 35-year tradition should die without at least ASG saying something,” said Singer, a Weinberg sophomore and Willard resident.

Senators also voted to postpone a bill that would create a poll to gauge student interest in U-Pass, a quarterly public transportation pass.

ASG’s City Council liaison, John Hughes, updated the senate on the status of the deputization forms lost last week.

Because of the fire that damaged the Cook County Administration Building in Chicago, ASG officials have not been able to contact county officials to check the status of the forms.

“We feel a little guilty about calling them and asking what happened to our forms,” said Hughes, a former Daily forum editor and current board member of Students Publishing Co., which oversees The Daily.

Friday’s fire killed six people, and the building has been deemed unsafe for occupancy.