Basanez’s performance, throws come up short (Football)

Northwestern quarterback Brett Basanez had receiver Mark Philmore open in the corner of the end zone at the end of the first half. But by the time he saw the receiver standing alone he was out of the pocket, and he one-hopped the pass.

The quarterback’s inability to connect with receivers plagued NU’s offense for the rest of the day in the 42-17 loss to Minnesota.

Basanez remained under center for the Cats until the last drive of the game, but after the game NU coach Randy Walker wasn’t sure if Basanez or redshirt freshman Alexander Webb would start at quarterback for the team next week.

“I don’t know,” Walker said. “I don’t want to make a rash statement.

“It wasn’t by design not to give Alexander (Webb) a chance earlier. We just thought we had some shots with the passing game.”

Basanez completed 19-of-32 passes (196 yards) but tossed two interceptions in the first half.

“I could have played better,” he said. “I didn’t play good enough, obviously, if we didn’t get a W.”

“(Webb) is better at some things, I guess the coaches feel like, and we’re going to put him in and try to make plays.”

NU coaches like Webb’s ability to run, but it was Basanez that made several plays with his legs during the Cats’ second touchdown drive. Basanez picked up 13 yards on a quarterback draw, and he later dove into the corner of the end zone for a two-yard score.

On the last drive, Webb was 2-of-2 for 12 yards.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: The Cats want to forget last season as the team went 3-9 and had one of the worse defenses in college football. But after Saturday’s loss, several NU defenders couldn’t deny that their play resembled last year.

“We have evidence this year that we can be a great defense opposed to last year,” safety Dominique Price said. “But today I have to admit I did see glimpses of what happened last year.”

NU’s defense gave up more than 300 yards rushing and 40 points a game in 2002, but held their last three opponents under 200 yards rushing.

On Saturday Minnesota ran for 241 yards and scored 42 points.

“It’s frustrating because I sat on the sidelines last year and watched this happen every weekend,” Durr said. “And to be back out there I don’t want to see this happen because we’re too good of a team.”

INCHES TO GO: Defensive tackle Colby Clark was suspended for the game because of academic reasons. Walker said it was his decision, but wouldn’t elaborate, adding that the junior will play next week at Indiana … Walker was not so optimistic about the condition of junior wide receiver Ashton Aikens, who injured his left leg when he was tackled on the sideline in the third quarter … NU freshman kicker Slade Larscheid made his first career field goal at the end of the first half.